Friday, January 29, 2010

This Is Not Your Mama's Lasagne!

I am participating in Six Word Saturday, hosted by Cate at Show My Face.




Even though it may be healthier,

It is still pretty darn good!

I was craving a plate of decadent, cheesy lasagne the other day. Just a few days after the doctor told Uncle Lynn that his cholesterol was high and he needed to lose a few. So, being a good wife, I made a few changes. Decided to take one for the team, as it were.

The promise of lasagne drew boys who hadn't had dinner with us on a Monday night in ages! No one knew but me that substitutions were made. I was the only one not necessarily looking forward to dinner!

The low fat, spinach-filled, egg beater, low glycemic index carb noodle lasagne was a big hit!

When the boys second helpings were gone, and plates were empty, Uncle Lynn asked "Should we tell them?"

The only response was "Cool. Tastes just like the regular stuff."

So now, I'm out to look for more ways to eat healthier. Guess I was the one who was the worst skeptic!



15 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

Oh, don't you just LOVE when a plan comes together? I've been doing the low fat Weight Watchers thing for a year and have been enjoying learning how to make substitutions for old comfort food favorites. We did a low fat lasagna too that everybody loved. Care to share your recipe? You can never have too many figure friendly recipes in your diet arsenal. Email me?

Alix from Casa Hice
AAHice@aol.com

PS: That photo literally made me smack my lips!

brandi said...

~sounds oh so deliciious...always on a mission to try healthier and i have been known to sneak or swap ingrediants in...but most of mine remain a secret...cause if i tell the little ones say...well i did not really like it so much...ha! thats why you just ate so much...keep up the healthy work...and may you be graced with the presence of your children more often...brightest blessings~

Megan, Life Revamped said...

yummy!

have a great weekend!

--
xoxo,
fickle

Bridgette said...

That looks SO yummy!!! :)

Susie said...

Wow!! Good for you:-)

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

Love when that happens. I've been doing the same type of thing for awhile now - my kids definitely do NOT need to lose any weight, although mom and dad could stand to (and we are trying)

Not sure what you used for the meat, but one of the things I have done is incorporate some TVP (textured vegetable protein) into meat dishes. My hubby is a meat and potatoes man - so I was a bit worried - but even he doesn't realize when I do it. Maybe because I use a 50/50 mix of Morning Star Farms sausage crumbles and 90% ground beef. Anyway - every little bit helps.

Glad your experiement worked.

Call Me Cate said...

That's fantastic! I love pulling off substitutions like that. And when it tastes just as good, why not do something that's also good for us? It certainly LOOKS delicious.

Thanks for playing 6WS.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Recipe please!! Always looking for ways to avoid having a heart attack :)

Autumn said...

I want the recipe!!! That looks so yummy!!!!!

Happy Six Word Saturday!!

~Autumn

Missy | Literal Mom said...

This is making me hungry looking at it!

Caroline said...

That looks so yummy and I was just thinking the other day about making some.
Happy 6WS
Caroline

Jeanie said...

Looks like you scored a big hit. Great substitution suggestions...keep up the good work.

gorriĆ³n said...

Wow, that's great! My mouth is really watering. Cheese is pretty much my best friend...

Katie, from rooftop melodies

Linda said...

Ok...that looks yummy and you made me soo hungry for lasagna!

Vanessa Rogers said...

OH my gosh, I just drooled on myself a little! Send some my way please :)