Thursday, July 31, 2008
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
I opened up The Blog this morning, and found the sweetest surprise! Marla, over at Pak Adventures, says I always make her laugh. Well, right back atcha, Marla! Marla and the Paklets have given me her first-ever, and my first-ever Bloggy Award! Yay for me, for Marla, and for the cyber-technology that makes all of this possible!
- Don't Get Married...You Won't Like It! Lots o' chuckles over here, especially in her blog title! She names her kids after Dr. Seuss characters (Thing 1 and Thing 2), and says she's gonna order her some Pop'rs as soon as Mr. Big gets paid this week!
- Teri, over at Let Me Think on It. She's always posting Pixes from the Past (check out her beauty-queen get-up!), and her recent travelogues from NYC and Philly were a hoot-and-a-half!
- Adiel is my Fashionista Friend. Her It's Because I Think Too Much really makes me think. Adiel's a pretty stylish gal!
- Lula, she of Lulaville, has her own little Bloggy Kingdom down in Southwest Virginia! She's up at all hours (2:20 this morning, according to today's post!) packaging surprises for her Bloggy Friends, like Christmas in July
- Scary Mommy, whose profile says she's a Zoo Keeper. Would that be of animals, or children, Scary? Perhaps both?
There you have it, sports fans! Make sure you keep Sharing the Comment Love! And, don't forget--Oprah still wants to hear from you!! *smile*
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Congrats to Angie, of SevEn cLoWn CirCus! She's our Latest Winner in The Great Pop'rs Giveaway! Angie wins a complete box of Pop'rs--all eight flavors!--to try with Hubby and those five cute kiddos of hers. Counting all the rehearsal dinner suggestions, e-mails to Oprah and Abundant Comment Love all week, we had more than 400 entries! Angie was chosen last night by random drawing. Way to go, gal!
2 quarts lime sherbet (1/2 gallon)
1 pint lemon sherbet
1 ½ pints raspberry sherbet
½ cup chocolate chips
Line a three- to four-quart bowl with plastic wrap. Spoon slightly soft lime sherbet into the bowl, and press against sides and bottom of the bowl to about one-inch thick. Freeze for 1 ½ hours. Remove bowl from freezer. Spoon lemon sherbet against lime, about one-half inch thick. This will be the rind of the "watermelon." Freeze. When the "rind" is frozen, stir the chocolate chips into softened raspberry sherbet; then spoon this mixture into the "rind" and level the top. Freeze covered for several hours. Thirty minutes before serving, chill a serving platter. Invert sherbet creation onto the platter, and remove plastic wrap. Smooth with wet knife. Slice and serve.
Monday, July 28, 2008
Faithful Readers: We're featuring another of Aunt Julie's (The Pop'r Queen) gorgeous creations this morning. Meet Big Bird, a daylily par excellence!
Sunday, July 27, 2008
I need to share...Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, was some kind of ticked off when she found out the Oprah's "comment" page was under construction. We surfed around Oprah.com, though, so never fear--just click here to find out how you, Faithful Readers, can urge Oprah to put Uncle Lynn and his amazing Pop'rs on her show! A Great Big SITSta Shoutout to Tiffany & Heather for helping with this effort!
Posted by Aunt Julie at 9:25 AM
Saturday, July 26, 2008
2. Why would Pop’rs Inventor Uncle Lynn make a Great Guest on Oprah?
3. How can you help Uncle Lynn score big points with Oprah?
4. How can you help Aunt Julie plan for an Extra Special Rehearsal Dinner for Big Bear and Little Red?
5. How can you become a Big Winner in the Great Pop’rs Giveaway?
Now, because Uncle Lynn, The Pop’r King, believes in keeping his readers informed, everyone gets an “A” on this Pop’rs Quiz. Here, Faithful Readers, are your answers:
1. The Jonas Brothers, who performed on Oprah Thursday, are The Talk Show Diva’s Most Requested Guests of the Year. The reason they hold such a high honor? Because their fans absolutely deluged Oprah with online requests!
2. Uncle Lynn’s Pop’rs are good for you, add fun to family meals, and encourage you to Eat Your Veggies! An Oprah show featuring Uncle Lynn, Pop'rs, and kids like yours sampling this surprising seasoning on different kinds of food would be a hoot! In his e-mail to Oprah yesterday, Uncle Lynn even suggested adding a discussion with Dr. Oz about healthy eating into the mix!
3. Please post a note to Oprah on her Web site, encouraging her to build a show around Pop’rs and their Fun and Family Factor! Tell her about your children's eating habits and your concerns that they eat more healthy foods. Heck, send her a photo of your little darlin's, so she can include them on a Pop'rs Show! Click here to find out how you can help, plus get Extra Entries in the Great Pop’rs Giveaway!
4. Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, has just two months to get ready for a 60-person rehearsal dinner at her house. Click here to offer suggestions, and enter the Great Pop’rs Giveaway at the same time!
Friday, July 25, 2008
Thursday, July 24, 2008
So many of you have been Blogging Up a Storm about Pop'rs that I just wanted to post a Big Group Hug this morning--and send a hearty "Thanks, guys!"
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Thanks so much to all of you who have commented so far with suggestions for Big Bear and Little Red's Rehearsal Dinner. Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, really appreciates the help! Remember, every comment this week earns you one additional entry in the Great Pop'rs Giveaway--for info on the Giveaway and ways to earn extra entries, click here.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Those of you who visited yesterday know that Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, has Big Bear and Little Red's Rehearsal Dinner to plan! She wants you, Dear Readers, to be part of the fun, and will give away a Free Box of Pop'rs (all eight flavors!) for your trouble.
We’re picking one Grand Prize Winner by random drawing. The Great Pop’rs Giveaway is open to everyone. The contest runs from Tuesday, July 22 (that's today!), through Monday, July 28 at 8 p.m. EST. So, Dear Readers, don't delay--play today!
Monday, July 21, 2008
For those of you wondering about the lovey-dovey ticker at the top of this page, exciting stuff happening in the Land of Pop’rs! Big Bear, Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn’s Number One Son, is getting married in October! He and Little Red, his fiancé, are taking that stroll down the aisle October 11, in the first-ever Pop'rs Wedding!
Bear and Red met five years ago, when he was working for a dealership and sold her a new car (He is not exactly a fast mover—nor a smooth talker—like his Dad Lynn, The Pop'r King, who married Aunt Julie just five months and five days after meeting her on Valentine’s Day!). About 250 people are invited to Bear and Red’s wedding, with 50 to 60 invited over to The Pop’r Family’s house for the rehearsal dinner. What does Aunt Julie have to say about that? Only one word: “Yikes!” All three of Bear’s brothers will be in the wedding.
Fortunately, Aunt Julie, being The Pop'r Queen and all, sure does love to cook!…the dessert menu has been solid for months—homemade carrot cake cupcakes, cheesecake with strawberries that Julie Eliz picked in June, and a chocolate fountain! Dinner is still negotiable. “Sixty people is starting to sound like an awful lot,” Aunt Julie says. Let’s see: wedding party and out-of-town family and friends. Auntie J. is taking suggestions for the dinner!
The sweetest part of all is that Bear gave Red Grandma Vera’s engagement ring. “I thought they would just remove the diamond and put it in a new setting,” Aunt Julie explains, “but the bride loves it just like it is and prefers not to change a thing. So it has been separated (it was once welded to Grandma V.’s wedding band because of wear), gold added and a new head built, and cleaned—the goldsmith said it will look just like it did when Grandpa Ernie gave it to my Mom in 1947!”
Auntie J., naturally, is a sentimental gal. “When I returned from the jeweler’s, I cried. To think it had been in a drawer since Grandma Vera died. I’m thrilled that it has been taken out, restored and is once again on the finger of the girl who is about to become Vera's first grandson’s wife!”
Here’s where you come in, Faithful Readers! Watch this space tomorrow, when I’ll explain how you, too, can get involved and help The Pop’r Family prepare for The Big Day!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
I've been *tagged*! Although relatively new to the Blogosphere, I do believe this means that I should be a good sport, and play along! What do you think? The lovely Bloggy Pal who *tagged* me was none other than greedygrace over at Just Lisa, No Filler. Here are the rules; come join the fun, and play along, too!
- Link to the person(s) who tagged you.
- Mention the rules on your blog.
- Tell your readers about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
- Tag 6 fellow bloggers by linking them.
- Leave a comment on each of the *tagged* blogger’s site, letting her know she's been *tagged*.
- Aunt Julie absolutely hates chewing noises--she won’t go to a movie because of all the popcorn crunching!
- All Auntie J's neighbors are familiar with her doggy jammies--no, not jammies for dogs, but a cute little ensemble with a doggie print all over--since she is out every morning with her coffee in the front yard, checking her flower garden. BTW, did you see my post on Julie's fanTAbulously gorgeous delphiniums.
- Julie will talk to anyone, and would probably try to make friends with a rock. And she has lots of funny stories to prove it! One time, while on a beach vacation with our two families, J. made friends with a random mom on the beach. The new friend's youngest and Soccer Boy had become beach buddies, so J. spent some time with the woman by the ocean, watching the kids. We returned home a week later, and a couple of days after that, my youngest received a birthday card from someone she didn't know. We figured out later that the card was from the family Julie Eliz (remember, lots of girls--and at least one boy--have the name Elizabeth in our family!) had befriended while we were at the beach!
- Aunt Julie trusts absolutely anyone. I have more than enough stories to prove this, but one in particular stands out. My husband once worked in a big city. Julie flew in to visit, and had a couple of hours to kill before her brother--my husband--got off work. She took a cab downtown, and found a lovely park bench, occupied by another person. She became fast friends with this person, exchanging pleasantries about life, family, etc. My Hubby got off work and went to the nearby park to acquire Aunt J. before heading home. He said to her as they were leaving, "Why were you so friendly with that homeless man?"
- Julie Eliz loves garage sales, and has a basement full of furniture for her kids, their friends or her nieces and nephews to choose from when moving into the dorms or their first apartments. She recently picked up (literally) a lovely sleeper sofa that she took from the curb last week. It’s nice enough to use in her house!
- Julie, she of Pop'rs fame, reads in bed with 2 pairs of glasses on at the same time, "since I am clearly NOT old enough for bifocals!"
So, Dear Readers, those are Aunt Julie's little ol' quirks. What are yours? I'm *tagging* the following Bloggy Friends to find out!
- Michaela, over at Creative Writings 101
- Mannequin, of Fractured Toy fame
- LaskiGal, who blogs From the Cheap Seats
- Mamacita, whom I don't really know yet but who has a neat little ol' blog parked at Scheiss Weekly
- tnchick, of tnchick.com, who says in a recent post the technology has her all confused, but she loves that Comment Love anyway!
- Angie, who broadcasts at SevEn CloWn CirCuS
And another thing: My Bloggy Buddy, Melissa B. from The Scholastic Scribe, is running a super-funny sweepstakes today! She borrow the photo for her contest from me--you should check it out!
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, likes to pick her own strawberries when they're in season. And she's always up for a summer recipe, such as Strawberry Salad, which actually combines sweet and tangy tastes in a cool seasonal medley. Top this delightful salad with Caramelized Nuts, and you've got a taste sensation worthy of any summer social!
2 bunches Romaine, or spring salad mix, or baby spinach
2 bunches green onions, sliced thin
Sliced fresh strawberries
½ cup oil
½ cup sugar
4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/8 – ¼ tsp. Worcestershire or hot pepper sauce
Top with caramelized nuts.
Toss the fruit, nuts and dressing with the green when ready to serve.
1 egg white
1 tsp. cold water
Stir in 1 lb. pecan halves, coat evenly.
1 tsp. cinnamon (or more)
¼ tsp. salt
Bake on cookie sheet 1 hour @225. Stir occasionally.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Comedian Anita Renfroe condenses everything We Moms might say to our kiddos in a 24-hour period, and sings it to the urgent strains of "The William Tell Overture." This video has been hanging around Mommy Blogs on the Internet for at least a year, but we thought we'd give you a mid-summer's laugh, anyway! We're pretty sure The Lone Ranger and composer Gioachino Rossini might even get a chuckle out of this--The Pop'r Family sure did! BTW, The Pink Potpourri is offering a fanTAbulous giveaway this weekend! Check out the rules for winning homemade stationery. It's really quite lovely!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Aunt Julie, she of Pop'rs fame, thinks she should send this photo to Welch's. This Baltimore Oriole hangs out at the feeder by Auntie J.'s family room window. And what's in the feeder? Why, grape jelly, of course! Aunt Julie explains.
"The male gets a beak-full of jelly and feeds the babies, who are sitting on a perch nearby, or sometimes even on the bowl or the holder. By now, they are as big as he is, and look quite capable of taking care of themselves!"
Just like Aunt Julie, Uncle Lynn and their little birdies--boys all (four of 'em!)--spoonfeeding the brood until they're ready to fly. Julie has second thoughts occasionally, though, about this kind of parenting strategy. "Sometimes I think it would be better to be the kind who pushes them out of the nest and lets nature take it’s course!"
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, The Pop'r Queen and King, respectively, have in-laws in DC. As in the Nation's Capital, home to the White House--which, BTW, is not near as big in person as you'd expect it to be!
"I love this quilt, and hope my niece cherishes it forever," Aunt Julie continues. "Maybe I can use it someday when I visit her, when she has a house of her own!"
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Congrats to M~, of The Suburban Farmer, and Veronica, of Supermarket Serenade, the Random Drawing Winners of our Great Pop'rs Giveaway! Uncle Lynn, The Pop'r King, will ship each gal a complete set of Pop'rs--that fun and actually good-for-you seasoning--to try with her family. Remember, Pop'rs come in eight fantabulous flavors--Cinnamon, Colorburst, Chocolate, Strawberry, Raspberry, Butter, Taco, and Buffalo--that can be sprinkled over all kinds of foods, from broccoli to yogurt--literally, To Infinity and Beyond!--as Soccer Boy and Buzz Lightyear used to say!
Monday, July 14, 2008
Today's the Cyberspace Roundup, folks! We knew you'd get a kick out of this picture of Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn's youngest. He's really into soccer and it shows, doesn't it? I particularly like his "soccer boy" hair! I asked him about it the other day, because it's longer than it's been in awhile. Soccer Boy's response? "It's just the way I like it. That's all!" Auntie J., of course, took this fun photo!
Let's take a trip around the Blogosphere, and see what we can see.
- Of course, today is the last day of the Great Pop'rs Giveaway! You have until 6 p.m. EST today to enter. Make sure you get your entry in under the wire--the more the merrier!
- Michelle, over at Creative Writings 101, introduces us to a really neat idea--bags made out of bags! OK, let me explain--Michelle's friend collects the nasty plastic grocery bags and actually weaves them into cool and classy tote bags that you can use over and over again.
- Jillybean, of Post-It Place fame, is sad today because her printer just up and died on her. Any of you Bloggy Pals with suggestions should rush on over and give her a hand!
- Gina, who mans (womans?) the computer at The Clan McLeod, explains in a saucy post how you, too, can get a free bottle of Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce.
- And, last but not least, we have a couple of one-year Blogaversaries coming up. Tara R., over at If Mom Says OK, is answering any and all readers' questions in celebration of her one-year milestone on Wednesday, July 16. Smoochiefrog, from In the Mind of a Thirty Something Mom, is hosting daily giveaways to mark one year of hanging out in the Blogosphere in a series of contests, from July 21-25.
That's All, Folks! And don't forget the Great Pop'rs Giveaway!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Got this from my Bloggy Friend Melissa B. over at The Scholastic Scribe. She received the inspiration for the photo fest from our Mutual Bloggy Pal tara r., who resides at If Mom Says OK. Tara says this artistic endeavor has been around the Blogosphere, and I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement, because I've also seen it on Regurgitated Alpha Bits, Dkzody's Weblog, and Art on a Limb. In fact, if you google "flickr mosaic meme" on the Web, you get an even 158,000 hits. Photo-fantastic!
- Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
- Using only the first page, pick an image.
- Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into this Mosaic Maker. Follow the instructions, and presto! You have a synopsis of Who. You. Are
- Your questions, Julie's answers; click on the Mosaic to see the snaps Up Close & Personal
Aunt Julie's life in a nutshell, as told to The Author
- What is your first name? Julie
- What is your favorite food? Kid food
- What high school did you go to? Chippewa Falls Sr. High
- What is your favorite color? Blue
- Who is your celebrity crush? Don’t have one! Am not impressed.
- Favorite drink? Cold Leinies on a hot day, hot chocolate on a cold one
- Dream vacation? Tahiti, in a hut at the end of a long pier
- Favorite dessert? Strawberry shortcake (fresh strawberries that I picked, warm biscuits, and real whipped cream), eaten as dinner, not dessert. Seconds OK!
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Grown up! I don’t feel like it yet.
- What do you love most in life? My boys, Lynn, dogs, quilts, time spent at the beach with my brother’s family, seashells, photographs, people who like me!
- One Word to describe you: pieceofwork!
- Your (sister-in-law's) blog name: Eat Your Veggies!
PS: You have approximately 30 hours, give or take a nanosecond, to enter our Great Pop'rs Giveaway. Remember: You can't win if you don't enter!
Saturday, July 12, 2008
This sign is kind of a scary sight isn't it? Aunt Julie took this photo during a Pop'rs Family Vacation near Port St. Joe, FL, last summer. Let's let her tell the story:
"I was lamenting to a local restaurant owner that I was having trouble finding sand dollars, and that the sand bar where we usually found them was no longer there. He gave me directions to the best place for shelling, so I headed out to explore. No one wanted to go along, so I went alone. "
OK, Auntie J., so far so good. Then what? "I pulled into a small parking lot at this secluded beach and was greeted by this sign. I called my family and told them that I was at this really cool beach, but that if I failed to return…And read them the sign. My college-aged boys pleaded with me to stay in the car and not to 'be stupid'. But I explored the beach anyway. And 10 minutes later, my entire family was there."
Obviously, The Pop'rs Family wasn't eaten by sharks, nor do they appear to have been afraid of the rip currents. The question, however, remains: Did they find any sand dollars?
This photo puts Vacation Safety in mind. Here are the Top 10 Things you should keep in mind when considering the safety of your Vay-Kay this summer, according to the Web site, Health A to Z:
- Collecting the first-aid supplies you need to take with you.
- Checking to make sure you have the proper immunizations.
- Will your health insurance be enough to cover you and your family during your trip?
- How can you keep your home safe while you're away?
- Considering measures to protect your family from poison ivy, rabies and other threats.
- Checking to make sure the water is safe to drink at your vacation spot.
- Making sure you investigate local cuisine; some native dishes might upset your tummy!
- Taking precautions to prevent motion sickness.
- If you're traveling outside the United States, reviewing the driving laws before you get behind the wheel.
- (OK, this last one is from me!) Following the directions on the sign above, and Paying Attention to All Hazards (including nude sunbathers)!
One more thing to remember: Please enter our Great Pop'rs Giveaway! The deadline is Monday at 6 p.m., EST, so don't delay! And don't forget to Share the Comment Love!
Friday, July 11, 2008
Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, The Pop'r Queen and King, live in a family-friendly neighborhood. That means lots of kids playing, lots of parents on the lawn chatting, lots and lots of potlucks.
Auntie J. spends some of this social time gathering recipes from the neighbors. Here's some simple summertime fare, which Aunt Julie calls a "real hit at our block party a few years ago."
1 ½ cups cooked white rice (really!)
¾ cup red or green grapes, halved or whole
¾ cup diced celery
½ cup mandarin oranges (drain)
½ cup Hellman’s mayo
1 cup ranch dressing
And hey, Pop'rs Pals: You've got all or part of Four Full Days to enter our Great Pop'rs Giveaway Contest! So get crackin', and let us know where you like to spend those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer! We have a pretty funny photo--shot by the Talented Aunt Julie, of course!--for tomorrow's post. I know--you're on the edge of your seat, right? Well, folks, you should be--see ya then!
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Where do you like to vacation! We're staying close to home this year, 'cause of gas prices, the economy and all. In fact, Aunt Julie, The Pop'r Queen, has been taking the family to the lake a lot recently, catching a little Vay-Kay in her own neck o' the woods.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
With the beautiful photos of Trouble Elizabeth and his best bud, Moses, and the pelican cruising so far from the beach, we've already established that Aunt Julie is the artistic sort. Her amazing creative portfolio also includes quilting.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Lots of folks are staying close to home this summer, because of the price of gas and all. I know my family's taking shorter trips to save on gas and money! The photo above--which looks like a Florida Vacation Postcard to me--was snapped the other day by Aunt Julie, practically in her backyard. Who knew that pelicans flew anywhere near Northeastern Wisconsin, even in the summertime?
To lighten your mood a little, Uncle Lynn, the Pop'r King, thinks we need Another Giveaway. Here's the deal.
Let me know, in a comment on this post, where you like to vacation with your family. Whether it's the back porch at home or the back lot at Universal Studios, location doesn't matter. We'll collect all the comments and pick two Grand Prize Winners by random drawing.
What will you win? Why, a complete box of Pop'rs, of course! That's eight flavors--Cinnamon, Color Burst, Chocolate, Strawberry, Raspberry, Butter, Taco and Buffalo--that you can sprinkle on everything from applesauce to broccoli to green beans to yogurt. And remember--not only are Pop'rs fun to eat, but they enhance your taste sensation and are infused with healthy vitamins--a great way to get you and your family to Eat Your Veggies!
We're picking Two Grand Prize Winners, folks, so please share that Good Ol' Comment Love--and perhaps a link back to our blog from your blog--and You. Could. Be. A. Winner! The Giveaway starts today and runs until 6 p.m. EST, next Monday, July 14. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon!
Monday, July 7, 2008
The old saying, "Man's Best Friend" should be expanded to women and kids as well. Trouble and Moses, pictured above, are the beloved dogs of The Pop'r Family. They are the doggie sons of Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, the Pop'r King and Queen.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Dear Old Mom always said, "If you can't bake 'em from scratch, just jazz 'em up!" I followed her practical advice this morning, for a yummy Sunday morning treat.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
First of all, if you're not a SITS Sister, you should consider becoming one! The Secret is In the Sauce is a, well, saucy little ol' blog, with quite a following, and lots of interesting and entertaining info. Tiffany and Heather run contests, offer advice, and generally have a grand old time in the Blogosphere! T and H refer to themselves as "two comment junkies who love to blog about life..." That pretty much sums up their happy-go-lucky take on Momhood and the world around them. As Tiffany and Heather correctly point out, "The secret to success is support," and they encourage lots of comments on their blog. They, in turn, are more than happy to share the love. Stop by to see SITS today!
Another great Bloggy Connection is the Carnival of Family Life, run by--Who Else?--why, Blog Carnival, of course! Each edition of the Carnival is hosted by a different blogger, who basically collects posts from all over the Blogosphere and organizes them under one basic theme. The current Carnival of Family Life is hosted by Mixed Metaphor, and showcases 34 posts of interest, ranging from Education to Parenting Tips and Advice. Also included are posts on Cooking, Chores, Fiction, Finance, Health, Humor and Family Travel. The next Carnival will be hosted on Monday by All Rileyed Up. So, if you've written a scintillating post recently--and I know you have!--please send it in before midnight tonight, using this handy-dandy submission form. You'll be glad you did!
And last but certainly never least, all the Blog "experts" say that another good way to get your blog noticed is by running a contest or a giveaway. Which brings me to my next point: Uncle Lynn, the Pop'r King, has authorized me to run another fun-filled Pop'rs Giveaway. We're launching the new contest on Tuesday, so make sure you're on board!