This sign is kind of a scary sight isn't it? Aunt Julie took this photo during a Pop'rs Family Vacation near Port St. Joe, FL, last summer. Let's let her tell the story:
"I was lamenting to a local restaurant owner that I was having trouble finding sand dollars, and that the sand bar where we usually found them was no longer there. He gave me directions to the best place for shelling, so I headed out to explore. No one wanted to go along, so I went alone. "
OK, Auntie J., so far so good. Then what? "I pulled into a small parking lot at this secluded beach and was greeted by this sign. I called my family and told them that I was at this really cool beach, but that if I failed to return…And read them the sign. My college-aged boys pleaded with me to stay in the car and not to 'be stupid'. But I explored the beach anyway. And 10 minutes later, my entire family was there."
Obviously, The Pop'rs Family wasn't eaten by sharks, nor do they appear to have been afraid of the rip currents. The question, however, remains: Did they find any sand dollars?
This photo puts Vacation Safety in mind. Here are the Top 10 Things you should keep in mind when considering the safety of your Vay-Kay this summer, according to the Web site, Health A to Z:
- Collecting the first-aid supplies you need to take with you.
- Checking to make sure you have the proper immunizations.
- Will your health insurance be enough to cover you and your family during your trip?
- How can you keep your home safe while you're away?
- Considering measures to protect your family from poison ivy, rabies and other threats.
- Checking to make sure the water is safe to drink at your vacation spot.
- Making sure you investigate local cuisine; some native dishes might upset your tummy!
- Taking precautions to prevent motion sickness.
- If you're traveling outside the United States, reviewing the driving laws before you get behind the wheel.
- (OK, this last one is from me!) Following the directions on the sign above, and Paying Attention to All Hazards (including nude sunbathers)!
One more thing to remember: Please enter our Great Pop'rs Giveaway! The deadline is Monday at 6 p.m., EST, so don't delay! And don't forget to Share the Comment Love!