Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tasty "Therapy"

As you regular visitors know, Aunt Julie--The Pop'r Queen--bakes quite a bit. She regards this kind of nesting as a "tasty therapy," which helps to brighten her day, along with those of Uncle Lynn (you all know him as The Pop'r King) and the rest of her brood.


Last week, Aunt Julie dropped a delightful Blueberry Pie recipe on us. Today, she reached into her Secret Recipe Box and pulled out an index card for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Uncle Lynn's on his way home from Talking Pop'rs at the International Food Technology get-together in New Orleans. Anyone who Snaps, Crackles or Pops in the food industry was at the IFT Fest, including The Popr King, promoting his home-grown company with the able assistance of two of his sons, who help run the family business.

This yummy pie combines a fruit and a vegetable that are both in season. Won't Uncle Lynn and the boys be pleased when they get home? Aunt Julie's happy to share, so enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
2 cups cut up strawberries (Julie uses more!)
2 cups cut up rhubarb (Julie uses more!)
1 1/3 to 1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup flour

Heat over to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. (Auntie J's secret? "Unrolling a Pillsbury crust, and thanking God that I don’t have to make my own!") Mix sugar and flour, and then gently mix these ingredients with the strawberries and rhubarb, to coat them. Obviously, if you'd like more than 2 cups of each fruit/veggie, you should go for it--Aunt Julie does! Turn the mixture into a pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar/flour mixture. Cover with top crust. Cut slits and sprinkle with sugar. Seal the edges well. Cover the top of the pie foil, 'til the last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 40-50 minutes. Best served warm, with plenty of vanilla ice cream!

10 comments:

DunnRight said...

Ahh! No way! I haven't had Strawberry Rhubarb Pie in a long, long time. I might in the mood to bake, now. Thanks for the recipe!

Genny said...

Looks beautiful!

Megan and Ryan Reed said...

great recipe. My grandma has a rhubarb crisp recipe that is to...

Becareful though, Rhubarb has a way of moving your system right along, if you get my drift. I found out the hard way as a kid who loved her Rhubarb crisp and ate 1/2 the dish. OOPS!

Megan

Anonymous said...

Very yummy recipes... gonna have to try them! I finally ordered my first batch of pop'rs so I'll let you know how we like them! Thanks for visiting my blog and letting me know about the new recipes and giveaways!!! See ya around...

Henry said...

scrum-dittle-e-umtious! speaking of giveaways, come check myine out! http://www.nowenteringmomville.blogspot.com

misty said...

Looks good, I may have to make one for the 4th of July cookout.

Melissa B. said...

Thanks for the new recipe! Yummy--I haven't had Strawberry Rhubarb Pie since my Nana used to bake it when I was little. Oh, and thanks for commenting on the blog--teachers would be a lot "sweeter" if they tried Aunt Julie's pies!!

Sandi McBride said...

I use more too, lol! This is hubbies favorite pie! And I'm an unroll your dough gal, too...
Sandi

Jen said...

Yummy Yummy. I wish that I had a piece right now. I love rhubarb and I am very sad b/c my aunt used to have a plant but it died. There goes my free unlimited supply of rhubarb. shucks.

Aunt Julie said...

Jen: I baked this pie yesterday, and it's almost all gone this morning! Rhubarb is one of those veggies, though, that hasn't gone up too much in price at the grocery store, so you should try some!