Sunday, July 6, 2008

Jazzy Blueberry Scones

Dear Old Mom always said, "If you can't bake 'em from scratch, just jazz 'em up!" I followed her practical advice this morning, for a yummy Sunday morning treat.

Our neighbors just returned from a trip to the lake, and we took care of their cats while they were gone. By way of thanks, Ann brought us some Blueberry Lemon Scone mix, from Jill's Jams, Mixes & More.

I have to be honest--I've always been leary of prepared mixes. Maybe it's because my Grandma was such a wonderful from-scratch cook, and because my Mom, at least, jazzed up a mix to add flavor, texture and nutrients to the recipe. Of course I never thought about the nutrious part when I was a kid, but it was always there!

So I did what Mom would do--I jazzed up these delicious scones, and served them to the family as a Sunday morning surprise! A pint of fresh blueberries makes baked goods all the more scrumptious, doesn't it? My husband had brought home a gorgeous watermelon yesterday, so our breakfast fest was complete!

10 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Looking pretty yummy there, Veggie Mom! I'm going to look into this Web site & see what I can see. And please don't forget, BTW, that today's Silly Sunday. Sharpen up that sense o' humor, and drop in to see me!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, those scones look yummy!

Deanna Germany said...

Oh yum! And watermelon too?? Sounds perfect!!

The Jillybean said...

I LOVE scones!

Anonymous said...

Looks delish! I've been buying lots of berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries) at the farmer's market. They are so good for you and it's the best time of the year for them. Love those scones. I can't bake, so I just buy the quick mixes - my favorite one is Sticky Fingers brand - they make all kinds of yummy baking items.

Hannah said...

Yummy! The scones look wonderful!

Kelly Curtis said...

These look awesome!

Aunt Julie said...

ShopLittle: I'm going to try the Sticky Fingers brand--unlike Aunt Julie, I'm not much of a "from-scratch" gal!

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks to everyone for their sweet comments! If you guys have any other ideas for "jazzing up" a dish, whether it's a main course or a dessert, please let me know. I'll pass along the love!

Breanne said...

Those looke so good!! Thanks for stopping by today. I am also new to blogging. Just started last month. It is so fun!