Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Original Toll House is Still the Best!

As I've probably mentioned before, I'm the proud mama of two (most of the time) delightful daughters. They get the urge, more than once-in-a-while, to whip up a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies.


College Girl likes to stick to the recipe on the Nestlé bag. She's a Creature of Comfort, and rarely strays from the Baking Path. The Wild One, on the other hand, pretty much lives up to her nickname. She's the Einstein of the Baking World, and the only person I know, to date, to have ever tried to substitute cranberries for chocolate chips in the traditional Nestlé recipe. But that's a story for another time.

That familiar, bright gold, red and brown bag has the Toll House logo emblazoned all over it. So I got to thinking: Did these amazing Swiss chocolatiers invent these amazingly popular delicacies? The answer, Dear Readers, is no.

A bed & breakfast maven from Whitman, Mass., named Ruth Wakefield baked the first chocolate chippers--the most popular cookie in the U.S. of A., BTW, with seven billion consumed annually--in 1937. The "chocolate morsels" that we know today were first conceived in 1939. Nestlé supplied Mrs. Wakefield with the chocolate, apparently, and she baked the cookies. She and her husband, Kenneth, sold the Toll House Inn in 1966. It burned to the ground on New Year's Eve 1984.

The Original Toll House Cookie recipe is still on the Nestlé package, where it has resided for almost 70 years. Of course, the Chocolate Chip Cookie itself has branched out over the years. Nestlé offers recipes for Double-Chocolate Dream Cookies, Triple-Chocolate Cupcakes, and Choc-Oat Chip Cookies on its package, along with the tried and true Toll House variety.

I have to say that I side with College Girl in the preparation and the baking of the Chocolate Chip Cookies. We buy the bright gold bag and read the directions carefully. The Wild One still experiments. She turned out a Chocolate Chip Pizza the other day, which contained a few more ingredients than the original recipe called for, but, thankfully, no mozarella or marinara sauce.
And she's given up on putting cranberries in her cookies. For now.

20 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

I always say it with the heavy french accent, like Phoebe does on FRIENDS. Ness-lay Tool-ouse.
Thanks a lot now I want some cookies! ;)

Deanna said...

Nothing like a warm Nestle Toll House and a glass of milk. My sisters and I have a tradition of watching pageants and eating Toll House cookies. Kind of a sick ritual isn't it?

Kally said...

Mmmmmm. Cookies. I am a yellow bag/recipe girl too. I only get dangerous in the kitchen by accident...like the time I shook have a bottle of dried basil in my spaghetti sauce. Big Oops.

Kally said...

have = half, silly me.

misty said...

Mmm, cookies. I never knew the story behind that. Thanks for the lesson. lol. Have a greay day, girly.

Anonymous said...

Very fun -- I actually have a package of chocolate chip cookie dough in my fridge as we speak (um, as I type), and the kids are looking forward to some cookies-n-milk tonight!

Sarah Mae said...

These are the BEST cookies around, but I can never make them as good as my husband - he's amazing at baking them!

Unknown said...

Looks like College Girl needs a little hand mixer! Tell her Aunt Julie likes chocolate chunks instead of chips.

Angela said...

Mmmm! And, personally speaking, the dough is even better than the baked finished product. I know, I know...raw eggs...but still. YUM!

Melissa B. said...

Gotta love anything with chocolate in it! Doesn't the chocolate chip cookie dough get all balled up in the mixer after awhile?

Marla said...

thanks for the history of toll house... never knew that and I lOVE cookies... i know the recipe by heart :)

Aunt Julie said...

Auntie J: College Girl (or at least her mom) DOES have a hand mixer! Now, I'm not exactly positive WHY she had her hands in the batter, but I guarantee that she washed those mits real well before she stuck 'em in there! And while the "artistic" quality is not as good as yours, I ALSO like the photo! :)

Just Lisa said...

LOVE chocolate chip cookies! But my favorite is Oatmeal chocolate chip, so I guess I'm a little like the Wild One!

Unknown said...

LOL! Cranberry cookies huh!?! Sounds like a story you need to share.

Lynda said...

The original is great, and tell Wild One they are even better when you add Spanish peanuts to the batter - then you get the salty and sweet together...Mmmmm, good!

must not be blank said...

We make the homemake cookies all the time! YUMMY

I ordering my Pop'rs in a few minutes--can't wait to get them!!

I have had a lot of problem problem with the link for the award you gave me--that is why I haven't posted it yet. I will keep trying, though. I didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate it!!I do, I do!! I just can't get it on my blog!!

Heather said...

Okay...I agree that the original IS hands down the best, but I think they DID change it. At least I remember it having both baking powder and baking soda in it at one point.

sweetsue said...

I make my chocolate chip cookies with a cup of sweetened coconut thrown in-so good!

Anonymous said...

Hi


Developers need to stay ahead of their competitors and get their product on the market in a timely manner. Mansour Engineering understands that time is money. Mansour Engineering will meet your goals, schedule and budgets while maintaining creative integrated development economics.

[url=http://www.mansour.ca] click here to go to Mansour Engineering[/url]


http://www.mansour.ca

Anonymous said...

how's things poprs.blogspot.com admin found your blog via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://traffic-for-your-website.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://traffic-for-your-website.com
To your success James