Friday, July 11, 2008

Try Something Cool and Delish for a Summer Potluck!

Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, The Pop'r Queen and King, live in a family-friendly neighborhood. That means lots of kids playing, lots of parents on the lawn chatting, lots and lots of potlucks.

Auntie J. spends some of this social time gathering recipes from the neighbors. Here's some simple summertime fare, which Aunt Julie calls a "real hit at our block party a few years ago."

Summer Block Party
Chicken Salad
2 ½ cups cooked chicken, cut in chunks
1 ½ cups cooked white rice (really!)
¾ cup red or green grapes, halved or whole
¾ cup diced celery

1/2 cup pineapple tidbits (drain)
½ cup mandarin oranges (drain)
Dressing:
½ cup Hellman’s mayo
1 cup ranch dressing
Top with Slivered Almonds.

I've never heard of ranch dressing in chicken salad, but my mouth's watering already! This is a delightful dish that would pair well with one of Aunt Julie's pies. Hope you've had a chance to try either her Scrumptious Blueberry Pie or Tasty Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, or even both--I know I have!

And hey, Pop'rs Pals: You've got all or part of Four Full Days to enter our Great Pop'rs Giveaway Contest! So get crackin', and let us know where you like to spend those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer! We have a pretty funny photo--shot by the Talented Aunt Julie, of course!--for tomorrow's post. I know--you're on the edge of your seat, right? Well, folks, you should be--see ya then!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

What is not to like in this recipe? I have everything needed to make this and the boys are going to be gone so it is mine all mine!!

Teri said...

I love chicken and fruit in a salad. Yum!

Sunshine said...

That looks delicious! And very summer-y! ;D

sweetsue said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have had ranch on chicken salad ( I put ranch on everything) it is delicious!

Allison said...

Do I put all of this over lettuce? It sounds great!