Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Have Quilt, Will Travel!

Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, The Pop'r Queen and King, respectively, have in-laws in DC. As in the Nation's Capital, home to the White House--which, BTW, is not near as big in person as you'd expect it to be!


But I digress. As you know, Auntie J. is a quilting fiend! She recently completed a quilt for Son Number 3 to use in college. She's working on another for my youngest--in fact, we hear she's in the final stages of production! The Traveling Quilt Odyssey, however, began three years ago, when Julie began the quilt above, for her niece Down DC Way.

The Quilt in Question is from the book 40 Fabulous Quick Cut Quilts by Evelyn Sloppy, published in 2005. The pattern's name is actually Those Fabulous Blues, "But I call it Off to College and The Quilt From Hell," Aunt Julie explains.

Please continue, Dear Readers, and you'll see what Auntie J. means. "The method I used to make the two-inch, half-square triangle blocks (692 of them) was with purchased triangle paper. This is a great method, unless you use the wrong size paper! I couldn’t make the blocks fit together, and ripped and re-sewed for days. Finally, I ended up individually recutting each two-inch square, all 692 of them, and it went together beautifully. There were other issues in the assembly, but I’ve blocked them from my conscious mind. Would I ever make another one? What do you think?" Well, we already know that answer, don't we? She's done two quilts since then!

"I love this quilt, and hope my niece cherishes it forever," Aunt Julie continues. "Maybe I can use it someday when I visit her, when she has a house of her own!"

So, why is the quilt so elegantly draped on the fence across the street from Dubya's Domicile? It's quite simple, really. The DC Kinfolks wanted to commemorate all of The Pop'r Family's visits down DC way over the years, including, but not limited to, Soccer Boy's expulsion from Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home), the solemn Changing of the Guard at Arlington Cemetery, the floor of the US House of Representatives, and Ford's Theatre, all in one day. Or was it two? Well, he was a lot younger then (about 4), and he knows better now. We can only hope! But that particulary Odyssey is a post for another day.

So, here's to lovingly hand-sewn quilts, patience, tourists and the bonds that tie families together over the generations. And three cheers for Auntie J.!

15 comments:

Deanna said...

She could really make a series of cards or postcards out of these pictures. They are so great! Of course, people would be like me and want the quilts!!

Deanna said...

My Popr's arrived!!! Can't wait to try them.

KG said...

No, Hank wouldn't have done that...the whole thing was a joke (more or less); steroids are dumb. However, I will still keep it a secret from Mr. Fairway. Fukudome is an interesting player...full circle around the plate everytime he swings the bat.

CBeth once told me a story about her "queelt" but then got embarassed that she referred to it as such.

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there!

Thanks for your visit today. I hope you'll come again...you're always welcome.

I've enjoyed my visit here too.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I love that photo! What a great idea.

Nonnas News said...

Great photo. And your right about the White House. We went there and I couldnt get over the fact that it wasnt that big really.

wendy said...

That is a beautiful quilt. I'm such a quilt fan and swear one day I'll actually MAKE one...whatever! :) The photo is well framed and beautiful.

Givinya De Elba said...

Hi Veggie Mom, thanks for your lovely comments over on my blog! I've been to your place a few times in a rush, and what with all the SITS love (plus real life too of course) the last few days have bene CRAZY! I think your blog is great. What a lovely quilt that is, too.

Teri said...

That quilt is beautiful! But oh no about having to re-cut all those squares!!

Melissa B. said...

Wow--love the quilt and the beautiful sentiments behind it! Cool snap, too! Thanks, Veggie, for contributing to Take Another Look Thursday. I'm a big Roseanne fan, too!

Angela said...

What a great quilt story! I'm surrounded by quilt makers in my family, though I did not inherit the gene. My grandmother (almost 90!) recently gave a quilt to each of her five children at a special quilt gifting party. The stories were priceless and I was blessed to witness them. Hopefully I can write the anectdotes in a worthy way.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture, pretty quilt, small White House. :-)

Rhea said...

Great looking quilt! I'd love to learn to quilt...at some point in my life I will!

Breanne said...

Love the photo. I really want to get to go to DC one day.

Anonymous said...

My MIL started quilting a few years ago, and my kids have since been the recipients of several very nice quilts. If only she'd make one for my bed!