Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Do Kids Learn Poems in School Anymore?

The pretty photo of the too-soon-red maple tree the other day got me thinking.

Fall is coming at us fast! And since it is the very best time of theyear, there are lots of things to love about fall. Lines of a poem were swirling in my head. A poem I learned back when dinosaurs roamed the earth! Here it is.


September

The goldenrod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down.

The gentian's bluest fringes
Are curling in the sun.
In dusty pods the milkweed
It's hidden silk has spun.

The sedges flaunt their harvest,
In every meadow nook;
And asters by the brook-side
Make asters in the brook.

From dewy lanes at morning
The grape's sweet odors rise;
At noon the roads all flutter
With yellow burrerflies.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather
And Autumn's best of cheer.

This is stretching my memory a little, but I think the 5th-graders in Mrs. Newton's class (she was also the principal) who learned this poem got to recite it for the younger kids during classtime. So we got time out of class to practice and more time out to recite. It was a great deal. I'll have to check with my friend Kristi. We've been friends since second grade, and she remembers lots more than I do.

Brought to you by Angie's Wordful Wednesday. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

My daughter had to learn TWO is second grade. None since. :)

Unknown said...

Just stopping by from SITS! Great Blog! Love the poem!
Happy Wednesday!
Come over and check out my 5 DAYS of GIVE-A-WAYS!
http://truebeautyinsideandout.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I don't think they do learn poems any more. Lucky for me, my Mom taught Kaishon lots of poems that he still remembers when he was 2 and 3 : ) I like education that includes poems! Very nice! Great picture. SO pretty!

Susie said...

That's pretty! I have never seen that before:-)

Michelle said...

That's such a great poem! So far in kindergarten, there's been poem learning, and I hope that continues as the year progresses!