Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Grammar Police


No, I'm not a teacher. Just an everyday user of the English language. And a bit of a detail freak.
Some would say a perfectionist. Others, worse.

So when I heard a local radio personality pushing a trip to the Caribbean recently, and excitedly proclaiming that "Travel Company XYZ has arranged for you to join my wife Amy and I," I cringed.

I could hear my Dad's voice gently correcting me, at least 40 years ago, after making just such an error. He would patiently ask me questions to get me to see my mistake, and lead me to correct it on my own. And no, Dad wasn't an English teacher. He sold houses and insurance.

So, Dear Local Radio Celeb, let's just say that for the moment, your wife was staying home.
(Sorry, Amy). Would you then say "Travel Company XYZ has arranged for you to join I?"

Didn't think so. Of course," you are invited to join Wife Amy and me on that lovely trip to the

Southern Caribbean." is how the ad should have been written. Lesson learned. Thanks, Dad!



4 comments:

Tracy P. said...

I am so with you! My other favorite is "We're going over to the Jones' to play card's."

Now I'm going to find my mask, snorkel and fins so I can plunge into that last picture! I could go for a little swim with the fish right about now.

Sandi McBride said...

Okay, I am here to say , I'm worse than you...I once red penciled an early boyfriend's love letters...but come on, when you're told that "I love you to bottom of my sole" what's a girl to do? Invest in new footwear?
Loved this post!
Sandi

Susie said...

Weird! My husband and I were just having that same conversation the other day!

Melissa B. said...

I think that you and me need to get our hineys down to the Caribbean. But if you insist on "You and I," then so be it. This English teacher, for one, congratulates you on this Grammatically Correct post. GC...the only way to be!