Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta: Reading is Fundamental

In March, those of us who love to read commemorate this joie de vivre by celebrating Dr. Seuss' Birthday and National Reading Month. I'm sure there's a month for everything and every cause under the sun, but reading is fundamental to me.

Why do I bring this up now? Because I just uncovered this cute shot in the POPrs Family Archives. Meet College Boy in his younger years, showing off one of his favorite authors. Mine, too!

I can read in red. I can read in blue.
I can read in pickle color, too.
I can read in bed, and in purple, and in brown.
I can read in a circle and upside down.

I can read with my left eye.
I can read with my right.
I can read Mississippi with my eyes shut tight.

There are so many things you can learn about, but
You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.

If you read with your eyes shut, you’re likely to find
That the place where you’re going is far, far behind.
So that’s why I tell you to keep your eyes wide,
Keep them wide open ... at least on one side!
~From I Can Read with My Eyes Shut, by Dr. Seuss~

This Seussical Tribute is brought to you by Candid Carrie, and her Friday Foto Finish Fiesta!

6 comments:

MsTypo said...

Hi! Visiting from SITS! :)

You can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss. :)

Tracy P. said...

Love this!! It makes my little teacher's heart go pitter patter. ;-)

Lynda said...

I am wearing a Dr. Seuss t-shirt right this minute!

Unknown said...

It's actually really funny about the title of your post because Reading is FUNdamental is our sorority's national philanthropy. The group works towards literacy in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods across the United States by donating books, volunteers and teachers. You should check it out!

Kathleen W. said...

How cute! And what a great mom you are to value reading so much. I really hope my son takes after his parents and loves reading. We read a lot to him, so hopefully it will just become a fun habit for him.

Marrdy said...

I think Dr Suess should be a saint. He has done so much good in this world. Everyone should read with their eyes closed.