Thursday, July 23, 2009

You're Gonna Miss This...


I don't know what kind of music you prefer. I'm not even sure what I like best. Guess the most honest answer to that question would be oldies. Maybe I'm trying to relive my youth, maybe not. But a close second would be country. As the (country) song goes: " 'cause they're songs about life."

A while back, I was shopping at Sam's Club. I was busily shuffling the goodies from the cart to the back of the SUV, and looked up to see a young Mom. She was parked next to me, and had her hands full with three little kids, two of whom were screaming. The third was reaching for something and about tipped out of the cart. She looked at me and said, in her most desperate voice "I wish I was YOUR age!"

When the shock of that comment wore off (how could she tell I hadn't just left MY 3 screaming kids at a sitter's?) I just smiled back and said something lame, and went home and spent the next 30 minutes looking in the mirror. Not really, though I was a little hurt!

I wish I had said something to that hassled Mom to help put everything in perspective. Something that a Mom of MY AGE, in her wisdom, would have learned to help someone of HER age. Something like Trace Adkins would have, had he been at Sam's that day. Something like this...

9 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Oh this is so sweet! I had no idea what a blessing it would be to have my kids in my late 30s. It's so much easier to GET the fact that "these are some good times". VERY good times. Time to go get a tissue now--thanks for sharing. :-)

Aunt Julie said...

Little kids, little problems.
Big kids, big problems.
What I wouldn't give to be able to put my 20-somethings on a time out!
And even THIS will be gone someday.
My Mom told me not to "wish my life away" and she was right.
Thanks, Mom (30 yrs later)

MammaDucky said...

My hubs and I always sing that chorus when the other one is having a stressed out parent moment. I've had that perspective even before that song came out (yes, even in my early/mid twenties as a first time parent of twins). Now with three little ones its my mantra.

Night Owl Mama said...

sometimes moms who are overwhelmed say the weirdest things

What would younger get her?

THe screaming kids sounds like me when I go shopping LOL

Coming by from the SITS to say hello

can u help me out with a comment on my post please
Thanks so much

Melissa B. said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! Although when Ella Numera Dos has a hissy fit, sometimes I think I'm not going to miss it so much...

Unknown said...

i am finally getting around to say welcome to you Aunt Julie and please let veggie mom know I miss her terribly!

LOVE that Trace Adkins song!

Marrdy said...

I love that song!!

I probably would have told the young mom to enjoy every minute of those screaming children. Soon they'll be gone. Grown up and off on their own and she'll be wishing she wasn't our age after all.

theUngourmet said...

This song always chokes me up!

Patricia said...

great song. and it's so true. I just wish when I was so stressed that I'd remember it and take it easy. :)