Thursday, July 16, 2009

Let's Throw a Block Party: Part 2


Stock cars do it.

Thoroughbred horses do it.

Politicians do it.

Little kids with their legs tied together do it.

Even minnows do it...

All you need to stage your own minnow races at your own local block party are two long sections of rain gutters. These can be purchased, but it's easy to find old ones that have been discarded. You can call the local gutter installer and ask him to save the next old ones he tears off. Or, you may just see them on the curb on garbage day.

Once you have the old gutters, seal the ends so they hold water. The hard part is done! You also need contestants. These--the minnows--are easily purchased at a bait shop.

Prop the "racetrack" up on sawhorses, fill it with water and let the fun begin. The neighborhood kids take turns scooping out a minnow from the bucket and placing it in the track, held back by their cupped hand. At the shout of "GO" the minnows are released and they race down the length of the gutter. It's a simple game, but lots of fun. And not just for the kids!

And don't forget the "old-fashioned" form of block party entertainment. Here's a shot of Uncle Lynn and Shark Boy...looks like they MIGHT be in the lead of this wheelbarrow race?

And, of course, there's that old classic, bobbing for donuts on a string. The POPrs Family always loves this game...

Don't forget the other classic yard games, such as tug o'wars and sack races. Your kids will be impressed with how much fun you are! (Especially if you tie your end of the rope around a tree, real sneaky like!)

You can also fill a kiddie pool with sand and let the little ones dig for pennys. Five dollars buys a lot of digging in the sand. We even rented a cotton candy maker for our last neighborhood block party, and a popcorn machine.

Get out in the street and have fun!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't stop giggling at the idea of the minnow races. And the donuts -- are you trying to eat the whole thing? What if it falls on the ground? The sand though... that actually may turn into buried treasure for a pirate birthday party. Ah ha!

Anonymous said...

Why don't we do those anymore? Not sure. But I do know that I live on the UNfriendliest block in the whole farking city! People won't even return a wave here! And I live in CANADA!!! Sheesh, people, we have a reputation to keep up!

Tracy P. said...

Minnow races--how cute is that!!

I'm lovin' the block party ideas! We have one for National Night Out every year, and when all our kids were little it was such a relief to have no traffic on the street for a night...until we realized the danger involved in turning all of them loose on the street with their bikes! :-) Fun times!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of bobbing for donuts. How funny is that?! I do love the idea of putting coins in the sand. They did this at my dad's company picnic. I always did love digging for money when I was a kid!

Susie said...

You guys know how to party:-)

Marrdy said...

You are truely the queen of party giving. This is all so fun!

Dumb Mom said...

Looks so fun! That minnows idea would be great for our neighborhood; it's bursting w/little boys. Thanks for stopping by my blog today for my own little party! Come back soon:)

The Redhead Riter said...

Stopping by from SITS to give a little blog ♥

Great ideas. Love donuts! Love donuts! Did I say I love donuts?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I had a block to live on. But when your neighbours live a few acres apart we don't really end up getting together as a neighbourhood. I'm not even sure if there are kids nearby come to think of it. Looks like lots of fun!

Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

Anonymous said...

What is captcha code?, pls provide me captcha code codes or plugin, Thanks in advance.

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who enjoys to try original stuff. Right now I am making my personalized photovoltaic panels. I am making it all by myself without the assistance of my men. I'm using the internet as the only path to acheive that. I discovered a really brilliant website which explains how to contruct solar panels and so on. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not sure bout how precise the data given there iz. If some guys over here who had xp with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it would be awesome and I would really appreciate it, cause I truly would love to try solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. U people rock.

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that particular model. The prices as regards the boots were about 340 pounds on every page. But definitively I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that particular make. The prices seeking the velcros were around 240 bucks everwhere. But definitively I set this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?