Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: A Warm and Fuzzy Tale

First of all, in the interest of full disclosure, this isn't my photo. I acquired it from Funniest Pets, a blog that features All Things Crazy about critters and their humans. I'm not posting my own pix today, and I have a really good reason.

On Sunday, while I was hauling mulch (22 bags, grand total!), my new neighbor came over. Seems she had been gardening as well (like minds think alike!), and when a commotion errupted from her basement window well.

I went back over next door to see what I could see. And I saw three practically brand-new kittens ~ two black and one white. They must have been hungry, 'cause they sure were raising a ruckus!

Turns out Mama Cat had been dragging those poor little critters hither and yon, as new mothers tend to do. MC is a feral cat, and has been hanging around the neighborhood for a good little bit, defying all our efforts to give her shelter or at least a free meal.

My neighbor, though, said Mama Cat had not been seen for at least 24 hours. So, naturally, this kind woman was worried about the kittens.

The shelters were closed (remember, it was Sunday), the pound was shuttered (Sunday, again) and the only people answering their phones were the Animal Control people. They said that if MC didn't come back in another 24, they'd come pick up the kittens and take them out of harm's way. In the meantime, they recommended that my neighbor let Mother Nature work her will on the situation.

So the neighbors spent the night listening to persistent mewing, and I worried myself sick over raccoons, foxes, even deer, although I know they just eat mostly tulips this time of year. I checked in later, though, to find out that this story has a happy ending after all.

It rained cats and dogs Sunday night (OK, I know, cheesy, but still...), but when we checked the window well the next day, Mama Cat was back at her post and the kittens were exhibiting voracious appetites, all!

We inquired of my vet, who adopts out foundlings. He said to put a cover, of sorts, over the window well, with just enough room for MC to get in and out, wait a few weeks, and call him in the morning.

So that's my Warm and Fuzzy tale for today. Brought to you by Angie's Wordful Wednesday. And when I can get a closer look, I'll bring you a real picture of my new neighbors, OK?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

oh i cant wait to hear what will happen to the kittens... poor little things...hope they all find safe homes@!

Susie said...

Those poor things!

Melissa B. said...

Oh, I LOVE kitty kats! Here's to your neighbor, who cared so much!!

Anonymous said...

oh... I'm so happy they are all safe. Poor mama. The dedication that feral cats show to their young is amazing to me. Sadly, they are sometimes better parents than humans to their offspring.
Let us know, will you?
I was happy to learn that there is an agency here that traps feral's, spays or neuters and then returns to the wild. Maybe there is such a program there?

Cupcake Dessert said...

I am so happy to hear that this has a happy ending!! i hate to hear about hurt critters :)

must not be blank said...

I am glad the kitties are safe!

tiarastantrums said...

THAT photo is so cute

Keri said...

Awe, sweet little things! It'd been so hard to not snatch em up and cuddle. I love kittens. Adorable picture by the way. So cute!

Marrdy said...

Oh, kitty kats!! Wish I lived next door too. Can't wait to see some pictures of the little critters.

Muthering Heights said...

I'm glad they're ok!

Teri said...

I swear the song "Ebony and Ivory" is in my head. I swear. Weird, I know. :-)

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't wait! My friend had a duck and her ducklings land in her pool and she's been worried sick....one was captured by a racoon.

Michelle said...

Good luck.... does your local animal shelter rent out safetraps where they trap and release the mom and would take in the kittens to adopt?

I LOVE that picture though!