Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet...

The title of this post is from Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." I've been in a gardening mood for a couple of months now, and came upon this shot in the POPrs Family Archives. It actually was snapped by The Wild One in San Francisco a couple of years ago.

The colors, the contrast and the framing show hints of the artiste in my little girl, don't you think? But I have no idea what kind of flowers these are. Anyone have any guesses?

Here's the rest of the "rose" speech, spoken by Juliet, as she reflects on the love of someone from the House of Montague.

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

13 comments:

Little Nut Tree said...

Returning the comment love... and those look like orchids to me. Lovely! My mum has loads at her house (indoors)

jineen said...

thanks for spreading hte love today! my hands did use to get very dry wheni first started but i guess they are just used to all that washing at work now. also, the hospital i work at keeps a lotion dispenser right next to the paper towels....pretty thoughtful, huh?
happy thursday!

Lynda said...

Shakespeare and flowers... nice!

Susie said...

Gorgeous flowers and a wonderful passage:-)

Genny said...

Just had to comment and say your site looks great. Love the changes.

Good to be back blogging,
Genny

Tammy Lessick said...

Out of everything that Shakespeare has written, this is my favorite. Hi from the SITStahood.

Melissa B. said...

They look like chocolate-covered cherries to me. Swimming in whipped cream, perhaps?

Jen said...

You had me at "A rose by any other name." I am a big Shakespeare freak!

Love the picture---

debi9kids said...

Beautiful post! Gorgeous photo!

No clue what kind of flower that is. I'm no help ;)

Happy Friday!

Sara said...

What great flowers and that is my favorite piece of Shakespeare!

Amy Platon said...

So pretty! At first glance I thought it was a bleeding heart. I was excited to snap it cause we have one in our backyard. But alas, I shal forlorn another dayith as it is not, nor shall it ever be call'd thyn name. haha.

Marrdy said...

Beautiful flower and I do love Shakespeare.

Shannon said...

I think they're orchids...