Friday, June 19, 2009

Fx4: We're in the Army, Now!

OK, I confess. I don't have the most consistent parenting style. That's why I was surprised to take this quiz and find out that I apparently fall under the category of "Sgt. Strict."

Of course, it never helped that I had two little girls with such different personalities. College Girl was compliant; I could put her down on the living room rug in front of Sesame Street, and she'd be good for a couple of hours. Well, I never did that, but I imagined it, several times.

The Wild One, natch, lived up to her nickname. In addition to constant attention, she demanded to be fed when she demanded to be fed. Let me share a little soap-opera drama with you.

Picture this: SAHM, with 2-year-old and 5-year-old underfoot, gets an offer she can't refuse. An old friend has enough Frequent Flyer miles to take two people~that would include moi~to the Cayman Islands for a loooooooooonnnnngg weekend.

The only catch? Moker would be flying solo during our Girls' Weekend Away.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call at the hotel.

"What's wrong with The Wild One?"

"Gosh, I don't know. I'm in a hotel thousands of miles away. Is she still breathing?"

"Of course she's still breathing. But she's also hopping up and down in the kitchen and banging her head against the wall."

"What time is it there?"

"About 5:30."

"She's hungry, silly guy."

"Hungry?"

"Yeah. They eat early, remember? Did you forget dinner?"

"You mean if I feed her this will stop?"

"Yup."

"Thank God."

Well, she was only two. And she hadn't quite learned to use all her words yet. Playing along with Candid Carrie, and her Friday Foto Finish Fiesta. Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

cat said...

Oh you've spoiled the hubby! Cute story.

Susie said...

That is too funny but strangely familiar! Both my girls were really high strung like that too. Thank goodness they were 13 years apart! I wouldn't have been able to handle both of them like that at the same age!!

ch said...

You got to go to the Cayman Islands with your girlfriends without the kids, luck you!

Thank you for stopping by my blog! You have a great blog and I love your header:)!!
Have a great day!
Cindy

T said...

Oh that cracks me up!!! Love it! Happy Friday!

Marrdy said...

What a funny story. Isn't it amazing that there are times when men are clueless to their own children??

Radical Selfie said...

LOLOLOLOL! Thanks for sharing this story -- absolutely adorable/funny!

Shannon said...

Huh... I'm "Sgt. Strict", too!

Michelle said...

I know without taking it that I'd be Sgt Strict. But the thought of her bouncing off the walls because she's hungry and him not knowing what to do. Wow. I'm dying over here. Poor girl. Poor guy. and I hope you enjoyed that long weekend!

Teri said...

I think I am a strict mom with a lax streak. Does that work?

Mrs4444 said...

Great story. Hey, I took the test, and I am Sgt. Strict, too! High five!