Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Welcome to Wisconsin!

Hi, there! I’m Veggie Mom, the proprietress over here at Eat Your Veggies! Nice to meetcha! I started blogging back in June, at the behest of my BIL, Uncle Lynn. Lynn, also known as The Pop’r King, is a Wisconsin Legend in his Own Time. He makes Pop’rs, but that’s another story. Let’s just say he’s on a Quest, and it all revolves around his fun new product. If you have time after the tour, please drop by Uncle Lynn’s Great New Pop’rs Giveaway. You’ll be glad you did!

For those of you new to the Pop’r Family’s Story, let me introduce you. There’s Aunt Julie and Uncle Lynn, the Pop’r Queen and King, respectively, and their four boys: Big Bear, Shark Boy, College Boy and Soccer Boy. I’m Veggie, and I’m married to Aunt Julie’s bro, Uncle Mark. We call him Moker, and he’s our Guest Blogger today. That’s him in the photo above, tailgating at the famed Lambeau Field in Green Bay. We have two daughters: College Girl and The Wild One. The six kids together constitute the entirety of that Famous Northeast Wisconsin Gang, The Pop’rs Cousins.

Before we embark on our tour, we’d like to thank Debbie and all her friends at Blog Around the World, for this chance to showcase the Great State of Wisconsin! So sit back, relax, grab some snacks (the cheese curds are fresh!) and pay close attention, as Moker takes us on a tour of our Upper Midwest Home.

Moker, here, with all the news that's fit to print, and then some! Wisconsin has many mottos. Some of them, like "Forward,” “America’s Dairyland,” and the “Badger State,” are official, steeped in tradition and history. But most residents understand that the best descriptive slogan is “Eat Cheese or Die!”

Wisconsin, where one congressional district has more cows than people, is a national leader in the production of milk, butter and cheese, especially cheddar. Fans of the Green Bay Packers (12 NFL championships) are known as “Cheeseheads” and wear yellow foam rubber wedges on their heads. BTW, one of those foam cheeeseheads once helped prevent serious injury to a victim of a small plane crash!

Wisconsin also is famous for its beer and bratwurst, delicacies that celebrate the German and Polish immigrants who settled in Milwaukee. The Scandinavians–Norwegians, Swedes, Danes and Finns–who immigrated to the rest of the state brought along lefse, lutefisk and sandbakkels.


Living so close to two of the Great Lakes (Superior and Michigan), Wisconsin residents are hardy souls who enjoy delightful summers and falls and endure sometimes brutal winters. Only in Wisconsin can you have a White Christmas as well as a White Halloween and a White Easter all in the same year. No wonder the state leads the nation in per capita brandy consumption!

Wisconsin gets its name from an Indian word of various origins–the Algonquian word for "long river" or the Chippewa/Ojibwa Tribe word that means "grassy place" or "gathering of the waters." The towns of Oshkosh, Menomonie, Menomonee Falls, Oconomowoc, Aswaubenon, Kaukauna, Mukwonago, and Chippewa Falls, among others, are of American Indian origin.
Politically, Wisconsin is viewed as a progressive state that produced Gov. Robert M. “Fighting Bob” La Follette, maverick Sen. William Proxmire and Sen. Gaylord Nelson, the Father of Earth Day. Wisconsin also is the birthplace of the Republican Party (Ripon) and gave the country that infamous, disgraced “Commie Hunter” of the 1950s, Sen. Joe McCarthy.

Wisconsinites love their sports, especially the outdoor variety, including hunting, fishing (muskies), snowmobiling and skiing, and residents enjoy thousands of lakes, although they do grumble about the number of Illinois residents who head north and bag black and white Holsteins instead of deer every year!

Notable Wisconsin personalities include architect Frank Lloyd Wright, super computer inventor Seymour Cray Jr., pianist Liberace, actors Orson Wells and Spencer Tracy, astrologer Jean Dixon, and magician Harry Houdini, whose most famous trick may have been escaping from Appleton!

Well, that concludes our tour of The Badger State. Hope you enjoyed yourselves and Moker, our Guest Blogger! Please feel free to snag some more snacks (we’ve got plenty of lutefisk left!) on your way out, and Don’t Forget to Share the Comment Love Before You Leave. Pretty Please?

61 comments:

Nonnas News said...

Great post!! Congrats on being spotlighted today!!

Dawn said...

Great post!! I hope you get lots of visitors today!!!

Debbie said...

THAT.WAS. GREAT!!! I loved every word of it!

Tracy P. said...

Nice to meet Moker! Ya, we love that WI cheese over here across the river. Have a fun day!

Amy said...

Visiting from BATW! Great post have fun with all of your visitors today :D

Melisa Wells said...

Nice tour of the Badger state! I'm visiting from BATW and more specifically, the Chicago burbs!

Have a great day!

Leslie said...

Thanks for the tour! I don't think I could hack it there with your weather. I'm a bit of a wuss for cold temperatures. Love your place!

Susie said...

Hey neighbor!! Good luck on your Blog Around the World Day:-) I don't know about you but I am swamped!!! Thanks for stopping by on your busy day:-)

Aim said...

Thanks for the tour!

Melissa Lester said...

Wow, snow from Halloween to Christmas. We are lucky to get flurries once every few years here in Alabama! Thanks for the tour of Wisconsin!

lynn said...

Hey fellow Wisconsinite!! Congrats on being featured today too. Moker was a great guest blogger.....love the comment about snow on Halloween, Christmas and Easter. LOL Have a great day.

Becky W said...

Thanks for the tour! I always wanted to go to Green Bay to see Brett, but now I may have to go to New York!! You did a great job!

JulieEliz said...

Moker forgot...his hometown, Chippewa Falls, is the home of the very delicious Leinenkugel's Beer!
Honey Weiss fan here. And also, doesn't it claim the "purest & softest water in the world, from the Big Eddy Springs" just outside of town? Also could do some bragging on his girls' college of choice, Lawrence U. in Appleton, again being a top rated school in this year's U.S. News. GO VIKINGS!

Lynda said...

I'd have been here anyway, but THIS time I am visiting via Blogging Around the World. Sure enjoyed my visit to WI and the tour by our guest host!

taratoons said...

Thanks for the tour & hosting us @ BATW. I love the Packers - are most people there in WI okay with Brett becoming a Jet? I would love to come visit someday!

Marrdy said...

Yeah for Moker!! He did a great job and a bouble shout out for all those lovely cheeseheads. GO PACKERS!!!

Just Lisa said...

Hi, Veggie Mom! Congrats on being featured on Blog Around the World! And hi, Moker! Nice to meet cha!

Ashley said...

Congratulations on your BATW feature and thanks for the tour! I poked around your blog a little and just love those quilts! What a special memory!

Shell said...

Hi Veggie Mom, coming in from BATW. I love cheese!! Me and my mom eat it almost every day. So I must come visit one day and get some good Wisconsin cheese.

Our Crazy Happy Family said...

Thanks for the tour!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Will there be a test? If so I am going to have to go back and re-study some of those interesting facts you gave us. Wow what a history! Washington used to be a dairy state also. Most of the dairymen have divested their holdings and moved to Wisconson. No lie. I know many who have left our neighborhood and moved to yours so they can afford to continue farming.
Congratulations on being one of THE bloggers of THE DAY and thanks for visiting me today. Am going to be busy thanking everyone today.

MediMonsters said...

Stopping in from BATW--great post!! Enjoyed my brief trip to Wisconsin.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Oops, I ment thanks for visiting me yesterday. I'm sure you won't have time to drop in for a visit today.

Lady Dorothy said...

Wow, I learned a lot! Enjoy your day with BATW!

Off to go look at this Pop'r thing!

Breanne said...

Great post - came from BATW even though I coem here anyway.

Melissa B. said...

That Moker is quite the Tour Guide! Thanks for having us over!!

I Love Purple More Than You said...

I've never even had a White Christmas... can't imagine a White Halloween and White Easter too.

I've never had the chance to try cheese curds... and not sure I want to, but I LOVE cheddar!

Channah said...

I love it! Thanks for introducing me to Wisconsin!

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing... I laughed when I saw there were more cows than people! Ha ha...

Karen said...

My husband and I were going to move there to dairy farm. We might still- prices are better!
I liked your post and BTW I LOVE broccoli!

Scott said...

I hope your enjoying your day with BATW!!!

I loved your post. Do you know my dad and brother worked in Wisconsin part of last year and they never brought me home any cheese! How rude! :)

I hope you have a good day and get lots and lots of comments!

Joy said...

From Deep in the Heart of Texas, it was great to learn more about the state of Wisconsin.

Mrs. X said...

Thank your for the lovely tour of WI. Now I will go check out the Pop'rs, because I will do anything to get my kids to eat broccoli without crying.

Unknown said...

Great Blog...and thanks for all the interesting information on Wisconsin...!!

Aubrey said...

It's always fun to read about each spotlighter's state! Thanks for the tour!
The quilts on your last post are beautiful!!

Sherri said...

Thank you for the tour!!

CaraBee said...

That was great! I love cheese. LOVE. Perhaps I should consider relocating.

Laural Out Loud said...

Beer, bratwurst and cheese! Absolute heaven! Now if only we could get it all on a stick.

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Hey stopping by from Louisiana -- Thanks for the tour. Much Love

Jen said...

I love cheese, the LOOK of snow and sports. If Wisconsin was a warmer place I might live there. Thanks for the tour!

Caution/Lisa said...

This was a great post! What a clever girl you are :) I loved the comment about white Halloween, Christmas and Easter.

Kathy said...

Loved the tour and your guest blogger! I also joined your neighborhood. Now that I have found your place I'll be back to visit more often.

Jen said...

Congrats to you. Had a nice visit.

Shannon said...

When I think of WI, for some reason what pops into my head are those cheese commericals... the ones where the cows are talking with those WI accents, don'tcha know?

Hope you are having a great BATW day :)

Kelly said...

Love the tour...I feel so well informed now...don't think I'll be back to visit in the winter...can't stand that cold anymore!! Or may be I should...I would love to see pics of a white Christmas (Easter and Halloween)!

Unknown said...

Wow, I really feel like I have learned alot about Wisconsin! Thanks for the tour!

Michelle said...

Yes, I'm here from Blog Around the World ... a day late and a dollar short, but here nonetheless.

You forgot to mention that cops in Wisconsin LOOOOVE to give tickets and driving more than 4 miles over teh speed limit (especially with an out of state license plate) is just asking for it. Not that I'm from neighboring states and drove through MN to IL and vice versa more times than I can count or anything. And no, I've never been pulled over. In WI anyway. I've heard stories though.

Oh.

And GO VIKES :)

Marla said...

i should have known you were a cheesehead... great post...

Jules said...

You were spotlighted? Seriously? And I just came by to say hi. I better be careful or I might get trampled by the mob, eh? Well, m'dear, congrats and all. Woo hoo!

Brian and Staci said...

Super post! Are you sad about Brett?? (Is he Bret or Brett?) Ms. Oklahoma here...so sorry for being so tardy...been a little crazy! You did a great job and I can't wait to read more about you! I'll be back! Nice to meet ya!

Briana said...

I loved the post. I didn't think about the plane and cheese head thing. Too funny!

Trish said...

I had no idea why the fans always wore cheese on their heads!!

Thanks for the info. I now feel very enlightened.

Thanks also for stopping by my BATW post yesterday!

Isn't this fun? Hope you had a great day.

Gina said...

Happy Day to you. Thanks for the tour.

Laski said...

Congrats to you!!!

How cool . . .

GO WI!!!

Lula! said...

Loved the guest blogger. Loved the Badger State tour. Love Pop'rs. Wooooooooooooo!

Gone said...

Hi...

I popped in from Jennifer's blog...

I'm originally from Wisconsin...Greenfield/Milwaukee area. I moved to Michigan 3+ years ago, to marry Tom.

We vacation back in Wisconsin, usually 2 times a year...spring and fall/winter. Our vacation spot is DOOR COUNTY!!! I vacationed there for 5 years, as a single gal, before honeymooning there 3+ years ago with Tom. We LOVE it!!!

I have a sister and 2 sons in the Milwaukee area.

Nice visiting you...
Jan

Domestic Executive said...

Thanks for the intro to Wisconsin. It's one of the US states that's still on my must visit list.

Julie (www.domestic-executive.com)

Kathi Roach said...

Hey Veggie Mom,
Just stopping by a little late. I took a few days off of the laptop but still wanted to come by and say hi!!

Great post! Hope your BATW day was a good one. :)

BPOTW said...

Wow! I never knew that much about Wisconsin! Liberace! What do you think about the Favre situation?

And thanks for submitting your post!

Laura Paxton said...

Coming by from BATW...nice to meet you!

Connie said...

This was very interesting! I'm coming to Milwaukee (okay NEAR Milwaukee) next month for vacation and now I feel like I've had my history lesson!