Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dirt Farmer

My Nana used to get down and dirty in her garden. When she was done, she was sometimes so filthy she'd have to hose off out by the well before she came in the house. I felt that way today!


Day #2 of "tidying up" before the end o' summer comes, and there still seems to be No. End. In. Sight! Finished up dividing and transplanting daylilies, and creating a new bed by the side of the house. Waiting for The Hubby to come home from work so that we can play Nuke the Honeysuckle. I do love that plant, but it's out of control this year. I think I'm gonna give him permission to wield the pick axe any way he wants--Damn the Torpedoes and Full Speed Ahead!

Feeling slightly anxious to get this done, 'cause school starts next week and then all Heck is gonna break loose. Which reminds me: Another Great Pop'rs Giveaway starts Friday! It's gonna have a Back-to-School Theme, and you're gonna love it!

One of the really good things to come out of all of this Daylily Surgery is that I moved a treasured plant that Aunt Julie gave me last spring. It's called Mary Todd; no relation to Big Bird or Stargazer, but another beauty just the same. I planted it right next to the Chicago Apache I got on sale today. Can't wait to see how that one blooms. I only wish I had the green thumb that Auntie J. has!

In the meantime, I must get my messy self back to gardening. Could someone please untangle the hose for me?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, kudos to you for the gardening. Mine is all out of control. I haven't touched it all summer.

I can't believe your roommate went to Kirkwood!!! I went to Webster. And those 2 schools are rivals!!! Its friendly though...you know, as long as Webster wins! HA! It is a small world huh?

Ah, you went to Columbia....the party school! ;)

Unknown said...

The hose being suggests someone's not eating enough veggies, hmmm?

Rhonda said...

I have, umm, what's the opposite of "green thumb"? That's me. lol

Sandi McBride said...

OMG I want to know who took a picture of my feet???? Yep, I've had to hose down a time or two myself! I have been propagating my own daylilies and loving the experience! Next year will be my second one...I dug the nuts up last week and spread them out for new growth...I'm looking forward to the winter rest, though aren't you???
hugs
Sandi

Dawn said...

We have some things in common huh? I only have 2 cats too but have raised many neighborhood stray kittens and found homes for neglected animals. I would keep them all if my husband would let me. I am actually a school counselor, not a teacher, but we both work in the schools! I work with special ed kids with behavior problems. Thanks for stopping by!

Hippie Family... said...

what a cute blog!! I love it, I just got some organic apples to cook up for my 5 month old thats just starting on food now.. fingers crossed we never use formula or bottled babyfood.. Any tips?
p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog via BATW.. and yes, GO M-I-Z
(Z-O-U)

Anonymous said...

I love gardening unfortunately it kind of went by the wayside when my daughter was born. I still enjoy my lilies but they could really use some TLC.

Would love to see some pics of your flowers.

Lula! said...

Keep those feet dirty...come help me divide and conquer. Literally!

CaraBee said...

I wish I could make my yard look beautiful, but I am just terrible with plants. I love lilies, though.

Casey's trio said...

Sounds like you are busy! I've always thought that it takes a talented person to garden...not everyone can do it.
Thanks for the comment on my guest post over at Angie's blog.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

OK, I'm not always bright, but I can't tell if you are VeggieMom AND Aunt Julie, or if Julie is truly a separate person.

I do love the stargazer lilies, though. Seriously breathtaking and divine to smell.

Thanks for stopping back in Missouri today! Mi-zoo-rah! Mi-zoo-rah!

Kathi Roach said...

Just coming by to say thank you for stopping by my blog the other day. Love your pix of the dirty feet....I am a wanna be gardener...maybe one day.

Anonymous said...

and when they do can ya send them here next?
my Toddler is whining to run through it.

Ilissa said...

These look like my feet during camping. I'd love to garden and get my feet this dirty while doing something productive but unfortunately our yard is too small and doesn't get enough sunlight. I also wish I had a green thumb. I was explaining to my mom the other day that I don't know if I could ever have a successful garden because I seem to have more of a black thumb than a green thumb. Thanks for sharing the priceless photo!