Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Hour I First Believed

FYI: Voting has opened in the Mommy Blog of the Year Contest. Vote for Veggie Mom and Aunt Julie...Pretty please? Thanks!

Now that my beach vacation is over, it's time to let you know what my choices were for beach reads. Many of you made suggestions, when I ran the great Everyone's a Winner POPrs Contest, everything from the Bible to teen vampire books.

These were my picks...


Lots of you suggested My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. It will be released as a film, starring Cameron Diaz, soon, if it hasn't already been released. Loved it, and didn't see the ending coming. Wow! No matter how good the movie will be, READ THE BOOK FIRST.

I also read Three Dog Life, by Abigail Thomas. It is the story of how a woman adjusts and carries on after her husband was struck by a car, and is left with traumatic brain damage. It's relatively short and easy to read, and not as depressing as you might imagine. Rates as OK; it's not bad and not great either. Which leads us to...

My favorite is The Hour I First Believed, by Wally Lamb. It is a fictionalized story about the aftermath of Columbine for one family. It mixes fact and fiction beautifully, and also spans the time of the Civil War to the present. Sounds weird? Well, I loved it. It's long-725 pages-and I confess, I have about 50 pages more to go. Walking on the beach took precedence over reading.

This was not a suggested title, but I had read another book by Lamb and remembered liking that, so I gave it a shot. Loved it.

If you take my advice and read The Hour I First Believed, also try I Know This Much Is True. It has been reviewed as "the saga of the century. Best, most wonderful, most dramatic, most powerful..." It's the other novel by the same author I referred to above. Gee, maybe I need to read that one again!

6 comments:

Keyona said...

Thanks for stopping by. I loved My Sister's Keeper. I keep checking out Wally Lambs books but never read them. I don't know why....

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm always looking for a good read.

just stopping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Leigh said...

Thanks for stopping by LOTHF! I'll be checking in again soon. Probably after I finish that Wally Lamb book!

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I about the list inform should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I think warm-hearted post. Specially the appellation attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Be comfy when you are in for a procedure. Even though cosmetic plastic surgery is elective and relatively slight, it's continue to surgical procedure. The full method is fundamentally stressful. To be able to decrease your worries, and then make your surgical procedures go more effortlessly, make time to get to know the group which will be dealing with you. Visit the medical facility, or medical clinic ahead of time. This way it's not an unknown environment. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Obse8ighve[/url]