Monday, August 3, 2009

It's not Saturday, but my six words are...

JAMIE LEE CURTIS IS MY HERO!

Have you ever walked by the mirror after a shower and wondered when you became your mother...

It's disturbing.

Yes, the hair has been greying. I do have bifocal contacts and reading glasses. The TV is turned up so loud, the kids ask US to turn it down. I go upstairs with a purpose but cannot remember what the reason is when I get there. I go to bed at 9:30. A knee has been replaced. I was oblivious.

But THIS is the final straw.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Mother. Wish I could be more like her. Then, my wish came true.

I have a soft, old lady body. This is news to me. If Uncle Lynn knows what's good for him, he'll say it's news to him, too.

The first sign (I wasn't paying any attention to the signs) was that I stopped tucking my shirts into my jeans. This summer, I've opted for capris over shorts 10:1. My bras are tight. I have back fat! Really! Oh my God! My feet are even a size bigger.

I came across this photo of Jamie Lee Curtis in my desk today. I remembered seeing her on Oprah, talking about how she didn't recognize herself after a recent photo shoot. It seems the photo had been airbrushed, to restore her bod to its former glory. So she got pissed. And had another photo shoot and insisted that the pics be printed as they really were. Like the one we see here. So that all of the women her age (my age) could see that what's happening to them, happens to everyone. Even Jamie Lee (perfect) Curtis.

I'm not quite at the point of acceptance that Jamie Lee is. Hardly! I told my husband that this time away is going to be used as a time of self-reflection. A time to eat healthy. A time to give up the traditional Bucket of Rocks (Rolling Rock, the "pale ale" from Latrobe, PA) on the beach. A time to ponder the second half of my life. Then I realized...

I'm beginning the second half of my life only if I live to be 104! Crap! I've been in the second half of my life for a long time. Oblivious again. AND...

I'm going to the damn beach! Crap.

10 comments:

Lori said...

I so admire Jamie Lee Curtis. I wish more women were so accepting of who they are instead of rushing into Botox, plastic surgery, etc. I never heard my grandmother utter "Wow, I wish I had her abs!" She loved who she was. (And so did all three of her husbands!!)

Mammatalk said...

Now, that's a gal to look up to.

Melissa B. said...

Jamie Lee Curtis rocks my world! It's about time we good-lookin' gals throw down the gauntlet...

Susie said...

If I got as honest with my body as she did with hers, I would be in the fetal position in the corner.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Amen, sister. I constantly vacillate between "Dang - I gotta go on a diet and get some exercise" and "Oh, forget it, I want these cookies!" Unfortunately, vacillation does not a great bod make. {SIGH!}

Anonymous said...

You know I just finished losing 45 lbs and still feel squishy. I like my weight though so I'm dealing with the squishy. Maybe a few more sit us...LOL

Stereos and Souffles said...

Cute blog! Stopping by from SITS.

Vanessa Rogers said...

She has balls, but more power to her! I have a lot of respect for what she did!

Marrdy said...

I too love Jamie Lee. This is what real looks like. not stick size two!

Pam said...

This is great! (My son gave me a hug yesterday and said, "You're so soft and warm." Yep, that's' me at age 52--soft and warm!) I do wish I looked even as good as Jamie Lee though.