Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: Aunt Julie Recommends

Aunt Julie and I are both inveterate readers. We don't always agree on a book, but each of us relishes completing a really, really good read. Julie Eliz just finished The Space Between Us, by Thrity Umrigar. No big review here: "I just LOVED it," Julie enthuses.

Once upon a time, not too long ago, Aunt Julie journeyed to visit us at the beach. One of our prime pastimes at The OBX is grabbing a good book and heading out to sit in a wobbly chair on the sand, the Atlantic Ocean crashing in our ears.

During this particular vacation, Julie Eliz had run out of things to read. I was out doing errands, and she rang me up, as the British would say.

"Hey, pick me up another book."

The request from my SIL seemed simple enough, but I have to say that I was just a wee bit intimidated.

"What kind?"

"Oh, you choose. I trust you." Three words that weighed heavily on my mind as I rifled the shelves at a local Big Box Store.

I ended up coming back to the Beach House with The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. Despite its heft (546 pages), I liked what I read on the back cover of the paperback. The story looked like it "fit" my SIL. And, I supposed, I could always take it off her hands if she didn't like it.

The verdict? "Best book ever," Julie said when she put it down on her towel four days later.

I read Poisonwood next, and have to agree. When Aunt Julie just LOVES a book, I tend to take her seriously. So, perhaps you should check out her latest recommendation. As the critics might say, it definitely won't disappoint!

This post is part of Angie's Wordful Wednesday. Please visit and join the fun!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my nightstand TBR pile!

Unknown said...

i love the poisonwood bible!!! it was one of those books that makes me feel completely inadequate as a write it was so damn good!!! happy wednesday!

Susie said...

Sounds like a great pick up:-)

Melissa B. said...

Thanks! I've been looking for a good book...

Rhonda said...

I have the Poisonwood Bible but have yet to read it. I think I got a couple chapters in and then got sidetracked. I'll have to pick it up again.

Hey, have you heard of book mooch? It's an online book sharing club of sorts. I'll send you the link if you're interested. I'm sending out about 7 books that have been "mooched" off me and now have points and can "mooch" off others. I've only requested one so far. I'll see how much the postage is and then figure out if it is worth it.

Marrdy said...

I love the new layout. Very cool!

I am in the middle of (ANOTHER) vampire book. (scary vampires this time) But I will make sure I find this one and read it!

Brenda said...

Thanks for the reccomendation!

Anonymous said...

That brings back memories...I was so into the Poisionwood Bible, that at a hotel on the way home from the beach, we stopped at a hotel. I drew a deep, hot bath and sunk in with my book. But, I was tired from driving and soon fell asleep, dropping the big book in the tub! No reading til the darn thing dried out! And don't you HATE it when you get to the Readers Guide, read through the questions, and think "Oh, THAT'S what was going on!" I am so dense!
But I read to fall asleep, and the next night, by the time I find my place (no bookmarks when I drift off) it's time to close the eyes again. One book can last a long time!
The Space Between Us is a SERIOUSLY good book. I think I cried.

Anonymous said...

Oops, guess I should preview my writing. sorry 'bout that! Veggie Mom, I have a great site to buy books. Let's talk!

Grace said...

I love reading... I have about 6 books in the queue waiting for me to pick up and read. I may have to add this to the list. Thanks for commenting on my Wordless Wed...

Caitlin said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I was just thinking today that I am B-O-R-E-D of all of my books around here. I will have to check it out!

Michelle said...

That's one of the many, MANY ones on my list. Good to know it's getting even more recommendations to back it :)