Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta: Meet Dave!

Remember the days when gas cost 30 cents? When you could pull up, crank down that window (yup, I'm not talkin' 'bout electric conveniences here!) and yell, "Fill 'er up!"? Well, Aunt Julie still has that luxury in her little ol' corner of Northeastern Wisconsin.

Meet Dave. He works at the Marathon service station in Neenah. Emphasis on "service." With a smile. His services, which as you can see are extensive, cost nothing. Just Fill 'Er Up, for the same price-per-gallon as the self-serves down the street, and you get your windows washed, your oil and window-washer fluid checked, and, of course, your gas pumped, don'tcha know.

Candid Carrie put me up to this. It's her day today. Please check out Carrie's Friday Foto Fiesta Finish. It's Freakin' Awesome!

14 comments:

Susie said...

Wow!! I didn't know that kind of thing still existed!!

Unknown said...

i remember when gas was LESS than 30 cents a gallon... oh man, now do i feel OLD!!! better eat more veggies!!!!

mommytoalot said...

No I don't remember those days at all..lol

Julie H said...

I remember it being around .80-.90 cents lol. And I do remember when they would pump your gas, etc. I wish they still did that around here!

Brenda said...

We aren't allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon.... but I do remember when gas was .25 and my cousins and I got to pump gas at one of my grandfather's Sinclair stations.

Ya just don't get service like that anymore.

Melissa B. said...

Gas was HOW MUCH? And WHEN? Oh, I'm just jokin' ya. I remember gas under a buck. And you could ride around for a few days on that dollar, too!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Wow! That is wonderful! I wish we had those now!

MammaDucky said...

I DO NOT PUMP GAS! Eeew! I used to when we lived in California where they have those vapor sleeves. Down here, they don't have those and I just can't hack the fumes. I need a Dave!!

Anonymous said...

yes, I do remember that! I was a kid, but I remember it!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That brings back memories - every Sunday after church, mom would drive over to the local Marathon and Jim would fill up our tank. I still remember his face.

What a nice post.

Glenda, saved by grace said...

What a trip down memory lane...
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm not sure what beach we were on, but my son lives in Jacksonville, NC
It was beautiful, but the wind was C-O-L-D

Marrdy said...

Lucky Aunt Julie! Wish I had a Dave.

Marrdy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Welllll I don't quite remember $0.30 per gallon, but I do remember the full service. And did you know that Oregon mandates full service? They don't quite go to these lengths, but still... at least you don't have to stand in the freezing cold winding rain!