Monday, September 15, 2008

Aunt Julie Hosts *Recipe Week*!

OK, September features Fashion Week in New York City. October features National Squirrel Awareness Week, not to be confused with Squirrel Appreciation Day, which falls on January 21.


Why not Aunt Julie's *Recipe Week*?

In honor of Aunt Julie, she of so many Delish Concoctions, we decided to dedicate an entire week--September 15th through 21st--to recipes from My Honorable SIL, Julie Eliz, Your Friend Veggie, and various and sundry friends and family, who have Recipes Galore to share with You and Yours!

This week has been a long time comin'. All Summer Long, we enticed you with recipes, ranging from Aunt Julie's Blueberry Pie to her Cunning Carrot Cake. We'd like to follow up on Auntie J.'s culinary success, and dedicate the Entire Week to All Things Food.

Of course, we have a teensie-weensie ulterior motive here. I'm trying to convince the Modest but Accomplished Aunt Julie to start a Recipe Blog. Something along the lines of *Aunt Julie's Apron Strings*. Whaddaya think? I have to tell ya, Julie Eliz is balking a little bit on this one. But, remember--I'm an Empty Nester now. I see *Aunt Julie's Apron Strings* as providing a service and giving me something to do!

So, we'll start off this week with a recipe that Can't. Be. Beat. And, Faithful Readers, if you think of any ideas for *Aunt Julie's Apron Strings* along the way, please chime in!

Aunt Julie's To-Die-For Cheesecake
(This is a *Special Request*-Blogstalker, Please. Take. Note!)

For the crust, mix in a small bowl:
¾ cup softened butter
1 ¼ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
Grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 400*. Press 1/3 of the dough in bottom of large (very) springform pan. Bake 8 minutes, watching carefully not to get too brown.
Cool. Turn oven up to 475 degrees. In large bowl, beat 'til smooth:
Five 8 oz. softened packages of Philly Cream Cheese.
Beat in 1 ¾ cup sugar slowly, 'til mixed in. On low, add:
3 Tbsp. flour
5 eggs
2 additional egg yolks
¼ cup whipping cream
¼ tsp salt
Lemon zest
Beat 5 minutes on high, scraping bowl well.
Press remaining dough on sides of pan. Pour cream cheese mixture into crust. (Bake in a water bath, so cheesecake won’t split.)
Bake 12 minutes. Leave in oven, and turn heat down to 300 degrees. Bake 35 more minutes. Turn oven off. Leave in the oven 30 more minutes. Remove.
Cool in pan. Remove sides, loosen. Slide onto serving plate.
Best served with mashed strawberries (which you froze this summer with this dessert in mind!).

22 comments:

Melissa B. said...

OK, I'll "weigh in" first. This is a splendid idea! Have you alerted Blogstalker to the cheesecake yet?

Deanna said...

It is breakfast time here and I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and supper with snacks in between!!

Melisa S. said...

My mouth is watering! Does Aunt julie by chance do a pumpikin pie cheesecake??

Marla said...

yum! yes Aunt Julie should have a blog... it doesn't need to be anything fancy... just a place to share... i have one...

www.pakkitchen.blogspot.com

Gina said...

I stopped by because I heard you had some recipes. I might just print the picture and eat it!

must not be blank said...

Yummy, yummy, YUMMY!! I love cheesecake and cheesecake loves me!!!

I can't wait to try this out--we have a cake walk at church on Sunday and Aunt Julie's cheesecake will be perfect to bring.
And I would subscribe to her recipe blog--I LOVE to eat! So much so that I just started a new diet to try and lose some of my cheesecake thighs!!

Dawn said...

This is not going to help my new diet but it sure looks good!

Britt said...

Thanks so much for stopping by this morning! Your daughter is right, our caucus is quite a circus. So much so that I won't be able to go until I find a good babysitter. It looked like a lot of fun, but with kids? Not so much :o)

Kally said...

Yum! This sounds so delish! Now if only I could find the rest of my kitchenware all would be great.

Rhea said...

Cheesecake...yum. We need to figure out how to slip veggies in there without tasting them...healthy cake, works for me.

Tara R. said...

Cheesecake is my favorite dessert. Tell Aunt Julie she would have a ready made blog list of readers. ymmmm!

Lula! said...

I must have this, now. Tell Aunt Julie I'm placing my order...and would it be possible for overnight delivery? I'll pay extra, of course.

Thank you. And Amen.

Just Lisa said...

Ah, cheesecake! How I love thee!

I TOTALLY think Aunt Julie should start her own blog! I've loved the recipes so far!

Debbie said...

Cheesecake.IS.MY.FAVORITE! I must try this ;)

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I love the name. That Cheesecake is to die for. Much Love

Unknown said...

This looks great! One day I will make it. Visiting from BATW.

Vicki said...

Yum. Cheese and cake together. Is there anything better? (except chocolate)?

Aunt Julie, you need to indulge a little. I'm imagining an empty nester has tons of time and should have a productive way to express her creativity!

Gramma 2 Many said...

I love cheesecake. However, even when I use the water bath, my cake still cracks. Can Aunt Julie give me any hints?

Jen said...

Love cheese cake!

Aubrey said...

Holy bojangles! I have to remember to have my breakfast before heading over here. I think your Aunt should start a recipe blog. She would have many a blog follower!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy....

Ok, so "bake in a water bath"...is that exactly how it sounds? I don't want to be doing something stupid that I have to post about how I burned my house down....Thanks! :)

Channah said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to see the new blog!