Sunday, September 7, 2008

Exploring New Roots in Phillies

We're a Philodendron Family. Not necessarily because of their lush, beautiful foliage--although that's a definite plus--but because They're. Almost. Impossible. To. Kill!

When College Girl moved into a new place last year, she decided she wanted to spiff it up with some greenery. Trouble was, her dorm room at Larry U. had but one window, which was framed by lovely, shade-bearing trees.

We thought about an English Ivy plant. They grow all over our neck of the woods, and seem like a pretty hardy variety. Turns out we were wrong! We purchased a small plant, transplanted it into a pretty pot, and it had Gone to Meet Its Maker within the month!

Philly to the rescue! I went home and took some cuttings from my Mom's old Philodedron plant, which is about a Gazillion. Years. Old. Seriously, we're talking a Practically Prehistoric Houseplant here (remember, my Mom was the owner of the Seriously Sad Geraniums, which we spruced up with coffee grounds)! I stuck the cuttings in a glass of water, and voilĂ ! College Girl has not just one plant, but two! She's named this Pair of Phillies Oscar and Simon. Don't ask--she wouldn't be able to tell you why. Both plants are thriving, and ready to go back to school, too!

Oscar and Simon were such a hit that The Wild One wants a Philly for her dorm room, too! I've got just the ticket for her--in fact, I'm off to buy a new pot for the latest edition to our Philodendron Family when I finish with this post!

We had so much success on the Philly Front, that I decided it was time to give my Mom's ancient Philodendron a makeover, too. It had been in the same pot for far too long. I happened to be hanging around the hardware store a couple of weeks ago, and found a most appropriate new home for this Philly. And no, this Philodendron doesn't have a name--yet. The before and after shots are pictured above.

Who says you can't get a New Lease On Life? Not I, said the Spider to the Fly...

News Flash! You long-time Readers remember Auntie J.'s Water-Skiing Wipeout from July 4th weekend, don'tcha? Well, it's being reprised today over in The Scholastic Scribe's Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. So, ski on over there and play, today!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

I need to get some Philodendrons too then cause I kill all my plants!!!

Rhea said...

Ditto what Dawn said!! I kill em all...inside and out. Time for a new breed.

Melissa B. said...

I'm with the rest o' them! Will a Philly grow in sunlight AND shade? And what about watering? I ALWAYS overwater!

Channah said...

Wow, I'm going to have to buy some phillies - that sounds like something I can't kill!

Unknown said...

I love Philodendrons because they are so easy to grow!

Marla said...

so right.. you can't kill those... which leeds to string plants...

come on over i have some love for you!

Anonymous said...

Ugggh...with my 2 cats...no plant lives in our house...its soo sad!!!

Rela Pantaleon said...

So that is what they are called - philodendrons... now, i know...

Anyway, 'tis true, 'tis true. They are impossible to kill.

I had 2 cuttings I brought from California to Idaho in 2004. Just placed them in water. Grew but didn't become lush but it is not to be blamed for I am one inconsistent plant owner.

In 2007, it relocated with us to Texas. It was still alive until husband brought it out into the Texas summer heat last week and nearly killed it. Most of its leaves turned yellow, but after a few days inside of the house, it has began its resurrection!

Unknown said...

I got Phil my Senior year of high school, and he lived... well, he's still alive but on my ex-MIL's service porch.... so he's... 18 years old.

He likes Dr. Pepper.