Friday, September 19, 2008

*Recipe Week*, Day #5: Grandma Vera's Cutout Sugar Cookies


Playing along with Candid Carrie today, and her Friday Foto Fiesta Finish!

Aunt Julie's *Recipe Week* is almost over, and what have we learned? A little of this, a smidge of that, and a whole lotta Kitchen-Friendly Concoctions! Two more days to go, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's see what's cookin' today!

We've told you before that we're quite a tight-knit family. The Holidays, especially, bring out the best in all of us, but we're open to a celebration any old time! Treats that both Aunt Julie and I cherish, and bake year-round, are Grandma Vera's Sugar Cookies.

It's simple, really. The entire Pop'rs Clan enjoys life! And what symbolizes more of a sweet occasion than the All-American Sugar Cookie?

Julie, of course, has baked these yummy cookies--with or without frosting, depending on one's mood--all her life, because this recipe was handed down to her by her Mom, my MIL, Grandma Vera. Vera is Grandmother to all The Pop'rs Cousins. And in her hey day, she was known to turn out literally hundreds of Sugar Cookies at a time for all The Gang to enjoy!

We bake these Sweet Treats, of course, at Christmas. We also bake them for birthdays, anniversaries and just to celebrate the advent of summer vacation. Sugar cookies are an all-purpose dessert, and, in our family, can also substitute for breakfast, lunch and dinner! They're easy to make, and this recipe feeds everyone infected with a Sweet Tooth. So, let's get to it!

Grandma Vera's Cutout Sugar Cookies

For the cookies
Cream together:
1.5 cups of sugar
1 cup butter
3 eggs
1 Tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup whipping cream
Sift together, then add gradually:
4 cups flour
1 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/2 Tsp. nutmeg
Roll the dough out and cut the cookies in fun shapes, according to the occasion. Bake each batch at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool before you frost them!

For the frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter
whipping cream-you have to add gradually as you beat the other ingredients, until you get the consistency of frosting.
vanilla, to taste
food coloring-optional
Frost the cookies, and enjoy!

PS: Moker, who also grew up eating these treats, likes to lick the spoon after I finish making the frosting!

14 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Oh, this looks like a better sugar cookie recipe than the one I use. I'll bet the combo of baking soda and baking powder makes them light and fluffy. We like to have these any old time, so I'll try them this weekend!

Unknown said...

those cookies look fabulous! i am a HUGE holiday cookie decorator fan, so this is great. i can't believe christmas is almost here!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!! I have been CRAVING some sugar cookies lately....I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to make some!!! Those look great!

Veggie Mom....I wanted to let you know I got my Pop'rs yesterday. I quickly tried the cocoa flavor in my milk...Had to drink it quick cause obviously it started popping in the milk before I got it my mouth. Yum!!! I did put some on Z's pizza last night....I think he ate it all WITHOUT sharing with our dog....so that must mean he likes it! I plan on trying it out a lot more this weekend! ;)

Jennifer said...

I love baking cookies and those look great! That recipe sounds delicious!!

Skeller said...

Oh no - after perusing this post my sweet tooth is kicking into high gear. Might need to make some cookies this weekend.... :-)

Thanks for visiting me today thru BATW,
Susan

Nik said...

I will definitely have to give those a try - I have been missing something in mine (from memory of some scrumptous ones I had at a friends house) and I can't seem to find it.

THANKS!!

Dawn said...

I will try those! They look so good!

KKJD1 said...

All the recipes look yummy. Thanks for being so faithful to drop in on my blog. I started schooling the boys 3 wks ago and things have just been crazy ever since. I sure hope things will get into a routine soon.
Have a great weekend! Blessings, Karen

Bug said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog today! Please feel free to steal the idea as I took it from Nichole's blog! :)

Now...for those cookies! I am always looking for a great sugar cookie and frosting recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Melisa S. said...

I make cookies like this for the holidays! The first year I made some was the first year I was married...we took some to our nexighbor's and left the rest on the coffee table...when we got back the dog had eaten them ALL!!

Kathy said...

My entire family loves sugar cut-out cookies, but I don't like making them. So they only get them once a year and that is at Christmas. The rolling and cutting is what I dislike the most. By the time I get them all done I can't even eat one. But if someone else makes them then they taste delicious. Isn't it funny how that works?

Anonymous said...

Nothing like sugar cookies during the Christmas Holiday!

Mrs4444 said...

Wow; these really look good! I've printed the recipe and hope to get to cookies soon... :)

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Wow! The whipping cream and nutmeg are different than I've seen. I'll have to try this! Thank you.