Thursday, September 18, 2008

*Recipe Week*, Day #4: Oven Stew

Are ya tired of us yet? We've got another cute story and another yummy, Fall-ish recipe for you to try! How many of you think Aunt Julie should start a Recipe Blog? Let's see a show of hands. I thought as much! If we get this thing launched, we'll call it Aunt Julie's Apron Strings. As they say in the Political Arena, the "ayes" have it!


This recipe, for Aunt Julie's Oven Stew, goes way, way back, to when Big Bear was about 8 or 9, and Soccer Boy had not yet entered the picture. Aunt Julie, Uncle Lynn and The Pop'rs Cousins came out our way for a Christmas visit. The Wild One was a Wee One, and College Girl about 4.

We were enjoying unseasonable weather for December, with temps in the high-70s. I know, quite a respite from the chilly winters of Northeastern Wisconsin that Julie and Lynn are used to! We even took the kids to the zoo a couple of days before Christmas. But, as all things will, this good thing came quickly to an end, as the thermometer plunged about 60 degrees overnight!

What to do, with five little kiddos (remember, Soccer Boy was not yet around to put Pop'rs in his milk!) underfoot, and the wind howling through a badly insulated old house? We did the only thing we knew to do: started cooking! We whipped up a wonderful Beef Stew, which was so warm, hearty and delicious that the kids asked us to make it again the day after Christmas. With all those yummy holiday leftovers lying around, too!

Without further ado, I bring you,

Aunt Julie's Oven Stew

1 15-oz. can tomatoes, undrained
3 Tbs. quick-cooking Tapioca, uncooked
2 Tbs. dried basil
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
1 Tbs. salt, or to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1.5 lbs. lean stew beef, cut into cubes
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 to 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
1-3 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 to 2 ribs of celery, cut into 1-inch lengths

In a large Dutch Oven, combine tomatoes with their liquid, tapioca, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Add cubed beef, onion, carrots, potatoes and celery. Mix well. Cover and bake in a 350-degree oven for 2 to 2.5 hours, or until veggies are tender and meat is well-done. Stir occasionally.

Aunt Julie guarantees that if this doesn't satisfy your Hungry Crowd, nothing will!

16 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

On behalf of all the great recipes and the always welcome comments.....there is an award for you over at my place.
Come and get it!

Have a great day!

Deanna said...

Perfect for the cooler weather we are having!

Unknown said...

that looks amazing! great recipes! i can't wait to try them out when we get power back :)

Kathy said...

That looks and sounds delicious, my mouth is watering.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Breanne said...

This will be great when it starts to cool off!

Rhonda said...

Oh, I should never come here when I'm hungry!!! That looks so good!

Tara R. said...

That sounds delicious. I love a good hardy stew on a winter day... even a 70-degree winter day.

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Mmmmm... stew!

Thanks for telling your daughter about the clothing swap, I hope she does it!

Gombojav Tribe said...

Ooooo...looks yummy! I'm going to try it out!

Daja, visiting from BATW!

Dawn said...

This really looks wonderful!! Thanks!

Amy Kay said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your stew looks great, I've never tried tapioca before, so this will a first for me. I'm looking forward to trying it. Come back and check my blog on Wednesdays for new recipes. Hugs ;)

Amanda Wells said...

Love the blog! One of my new favs!

Debbie said...

WHAT is the hold up on the recipe blog!!! These recipes are divine and right now that banana split cake is staring me in the face. And I'm hungry. These look delicious Veggie Mom!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'll try that one. I love a good stew.
Thanks for visiting me yesterday!

Melisa S. said...

I am a stew type of girl! Hands down my favorite thing to eat with a bit of crusty bread. I can't wait to try this recipe!!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Good Gravy this looks delish and perfect for Fall!