Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fitness for the Body and the Mind

Baby Steps always lead to grownup strides.

Did I make New Year's Resolutions for 2009? Was one of them to exercise more? Was one of them to drop a few extra lbs.? As they say up Northeastern Wisconsin way, You Betcha!

CM blogs over at No Dieting. Her blog title says it all, doesn't it? Anyway, she's challenging all of us to exercise...both our bodies and our minds. Here's the deal:

It's called the 500/50 Challenge. Try to exercise (running, biking, swimming, walking, elliptical, etc.) the equivalent of 500 running miles in one year. Try to read 50 books in that same time period. And if you break it down, it could be totally doable!

Of course, I signed up for a Writing Challenge this year, too. But I've put myself on a schedule, and think I can reach my goal. My first effort on that front met with the approbation of many of you out there in Cyberland, so I'm feeling pretty psyched!

I say The 500/50 Challenge sounds doable, too. We're talking fitness for the body and the mind. Click Here or on the button in my sidebar, and let CM know you're in. She's got 18 bloggers signed up right now. I say we should make it at least an Even 20 by day's end...or even more!

Veggie Mom's a swimmer, not a runner, so I'm gonna have to convert my total miles. I've swum 9.3939393 miles in the pool since January 1 (15,500 yards divided by 1,650). I'm supposed to multiply my mile pool mileage by 4 to convert it to running miles. That comes to 37.575757 miles so far this year. And 2 books...almost done with my 3rd, and I'm not even tired!

Please let me emphasize that I'm not a svelte 20-something. Nor am I a candidate for The Biggest Loser. I'm just a regular gal, just like you. If we concentrate on doing a little bit each day, we can do it! Remember, baby steps turn into grownup strides. Our 3rd President, Thomas Jefferson, believed that one couldn't have a sharp mind without a healthy body. And remember...even TJ was a toddler, once.

Baby steps. And soon a Big Kid you'll be!

"True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united."

~Thomas Jefferson~

5 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Yay for you!! Way to take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

You go girl!!! awesome!
I got my package yesterday...I am in LOVE with poprs OMGosh I cant wait to them on some food VS eating then out of my hand
;-)

THANK YOU again

Michelle said...

Ummm, can I count blogs as books? ;) Otherwise I can do the 500 but not the 50. Three weeks into January I've run 30 miles already, so not too far from where we need to be right?

Melissa B. said...

I'm signed up for this, too, but haven't done CM's "Roll Call" yet. And I'm also a swimmer! Got to get reading, though. But I have an advantage...because I'm a teacher, I get much more reading done in the summer!

Susie said...

It sounds like a great challenge. I think anything that you can do to keep on track of things that are important to you is a valuable.