Wednesday, January 21, 2009

He Feeds More than My Soul


The following was scribbled as part of the Random Complexity Writing Challenge, over at In Search of Giants. Word Count: 335.

We met in college. We shared the same major. But that was where the similarities ended.

Moker admired Dirty Harry. I had a passion for Barbra Streisand. I swam laps. He thought Speedos belonged only on effeminate young men on the beach at St.-Tropez.

The man was a golfer, for goodness sake! He wore Polos even off the golf course. The only folks I’d ever seen in Polos—especially those in shades of chartreuse and tangerine—were effeminate young men in Greenwich Village, during a college summer in NYC.

My Best Bud Debbie said we were “meant for each other.” That she could tell we were “soulmates.” But there the clichés ended. Because it wasn’t meant to be.

But the more I saw of him, the more we became comfortable in our ways. The Dirty Harry fan took me to more than one Chick Flick. And I even once rose before the sun did and, discarding my usual uniform of jeans and a T, donned khaki and a Polo to attend a PGA Golf Tournament with him.

We were there 12 hours, and I have to say that I enjoyed myself—because he was there.

He’s Norwegian, from the Upper Midwest. I’m a Southern Gal. He’s parsimonious in his prose, sometimes going hours without a single word to anyone. I can talk a blue streak, with anybody, anytime.

Debbie was right, of course. As the ’80s turned into the ’90s, and the New Century dawned, we watched the seasons of married life fly by. Two kids and years beyond college, we’re still together.

And no, this isn’t a post commemorating our anniversary. That comes up in the Spring. Today, I’m honoring a note he left on the kitchen table. A memo, of sorts, just a quick FYI, scribbled in a Husband’s Scrawl, which greeted me when I returned from doing laps yesterday morning.

“Hello...I’m cooking dinner tonight.”

That’s all he had to say to win my heart yet again. He had me. After “hello.”

17 comments:

Unknown said...

great post!!!! and so few words!!! not only was the story totally enjoyable but i'm dazzled by the economy of words. cute cartoon, too!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Veggie Mom, you made me CRY! Maybe because Moker is my big brother, and I don't really think about what's going on inside his marriage, but you got to me! Love you both, and whoever picked, picked well. I need a Kleenex...

Anonymous said...

That is so romantic and sweet:-)

My Anniversary is coming up this week and I am thinking I should write something short and sweet for my hubby of 19 years!!

Tara R. said...

A note like that would have made my heart melt too. You got yourself a keeper.

Gombojav Tribe said...

Now that man understands romance!

Unknown said...

he cooked??

what did he make!?

Deanna said...

There are good men in this world. I am so lucky and you are so lucky. It makes me sad for men who don't have a clue and the women who are stuck with them.

Teri said...

So, so, so sweet! I also have a great man. And he cooks just about all the meals...because he enjoys it. I find that weird (the liking cooking all the time part). I'm not complaining. :-)

Sandi McBride said...

What a great read! Romance is alive and well in certain areas, lol!
hugs
Sandi

Michelle said...

Awwww, what a sweet guy! I love it. And ummm ten to one, when I get home tomorrow night after my one day at the office at around ohhhh 7 tomorrow night, my husband will want to know what *I'm* making for dinner. I'm tempted to stop for Giordano's for one ;)

Just Lisa said...

I think this might be the best post you've ever written! Love it!

Anonymous said...

How very sweet :)

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a wonderful writer you are. Why have you been hiding that?
What a sweet letter from hubby. I love the "Hello". So sweet.

Brenda said...

That is a sweet post, and how wonderful to have a husband who can cook dinner!

Mrs4444 said...

Nice. Gotta love those Norsemen! :)

Jade Bordeaux said...

I have a Norseman too. And I understand ALL too well the way he can go through one hole day only speaking 5 words to anyone other than me,and when he makes me dinner...I get goosebumps. Its rare, but soooo sweet,w/out overdoing it. I read this and cried. I loved it and wish I could email it to him. Hed love it...w/out saying to, of coarse. I loved it..you have a follower,thanks to BPOTW, for Life!

betty-NZ said...

These are the magical moments that make real life worth living!