Saturday, January 31, 2009

Clean Your Palate

FYI, Veggie Mom wrote this as her final January contribution to the Random Complexity Writing Challenge. 181 words.

Nerves jangled; bells rang in her ears. The 23-year-old still smelled slightly of frat keggers and 2 a.m. runs to Jack-in-the-Box.

Now she found herself in Mexico City. Dressed to impress. On a business trip.

Adiós, Corona-infused nights on the crowded porch of a run-down, college-row house.

Bienvenido to the world of cocktail parties at expense-account restaurants.

Thank God for the four years of high school Spanish, followed by a college minor. At least she might have a decent conversation.

In the restaurant of the four-star hotel on Paseo de la Reforma, she contemplated the breakfast menu. Huevos, for sure. But I can’t read this—the words all look the same. So much for the post-secondary degree.

I’ll just wing it. Thanks, Señorita Toliver, for teaching me something way back in 9th grade. Who knew that Español Uno would come in handy?

Huevos y jabón, por favor.” Luckily, the waiter wasn’t a literal guy. And he had patience with the newbie gringa, trying to act so adulta.

Her stomach was twisted in knots already. Soap and eggs would have been quite unsettling.

9 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Oh, I get it! Jabon=soap; Jamon=ham. Aren't you lucky you didn't get eggs with a few slices of Irish Spring melted on top!

Tara R. said...

That's probably what I would have ordered. I can't remember any of my high school Spanish, well enough to get myself in trouble.

Mammatalk said...

Oh, is there more?

Henry said...

you're quite a good writer!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Soap and eggs... nice. Great post, enjoyed reading it very much.

Mrs4444 said...

Cute. Looks like you had fun :)

Pseudo said...

I came by way of Melissa's because of the dog and stick photo.

You have a lot of intersting stuff going on over here and I liked this writing piece.

Marrdy said...

I'm scared to think what I may have ordered. You really should write for a living! (and not just a blog)

Michelle said...

Hee hee! I love it. Too cute, but lucky the waiter helped. I can imagine the laugh he got afterwards though!