Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why I Write~The Challenge, The Battle

Last week, I celebrated my 200th Blog Post. As part of the festivities, I mentioned that I had posted 200 bloggy entries in a row. Yup, since June 16, 2008. Which means that today's post will be Number 208.

Several of you want to know how I do it. Well, I can tell you for sure that it's not magic. I sit down here in my (slightly) chilly basement and often stare at the (dusty) old Dell Desktop for quite some time. Every so often, the words just flow~My Empty Nesters Post comes to mind. The most engaged I feel in the writing process is when my Cyber Buddies throw a bone my way; or when my ultimately creative SIL, Aunt Julie, has something pretty potent to say.

(And no, for those of you who are new to This Place or who might have forgotten~Aunt Julie and Veggie Mom are not the same person. She is she, and I am I, and that's the way it will forever be!)

Sometimes, like most of us in the Blogosphere, I write with a purpose. Sometimes, I write just for the heck of it. But the thing I'm most proud of is that I write. Every Day. The exercise is good for my mind, and keeps my fingers nimble.

Tiffany, of Poetry and Hums, seems to be a serious writer. She applies herself to her craft, and alerted us on Monday to a Writing Challenge. It's not a contest, but a quest, proposed a blogger named Aerin, over at In Search of Giants. The object is to write at least 1,000 words a month of creative non-fiction (which I love to compose) or fiction (which I don't have the grey matter to produce).

The Rules of the Challenge are simple. The Gauntlet has been thrown. And while I'm no fencer nor medieval knight, I have metaphorically picked up this piece of armor and I'm going into battle. I challenge you, dear friends, to do the same.

I only hope that Pop'rs Giveaways, Bloggy Bling and Misdirected Musings are allowed as part of my word count.

19 comments:

annie kelleher said...

ALL words count!!!! (at least they better!!!) congrats (again) on your 200th post... i think my next one will be 550. i've totally fallen in love with blogging, mostly because of the connections i have found to people like you! :)

Vanessa Rogers said...

Do blogs count in this challenge? Great challenge by the way! I am in since I am trying to write a book, my own goal was to write five hours a week regardless if I am creating crap or the Monet of writing.

Melissa B. said...

This looks right up my alley. I'm in! I'm in!

Tracy P. said...

Great motivation! I should be challenged with something more akin to writing more content with fewer words. Can you say verbose? ;-) That's why I usually try to let the pictures do the talking--my own personal quest!

Rachael said...

Oooohhh...I will have to go check out "the challenge".

I have enjoyed getting back "into the swing" of writing. However, I have found that I can't remember some of the rules of grammar....it's driving me nuts!!!

Sandi McBride said...

I can't wait to see your entries!
Sandi

Ann said...

Happy 200+ posts...I've enjoyed many of your wonder words and look forward to more. Thanks for the info on short stories, perhaps I'll venture over to take a looky.

♥georgie♥ said...

wow what an impressive challenge i can;t wait to see what you come up with

Z's Mom said...

This sounds pretty cool!!!

And thanks for always picking up my causes and signing or clicking or posting or whatever I ask of my bloggy friends.....I think you ROCK!!!

Kally said...

I have no doubt about it. You can and will do it!! :)

The Cookie Girl said...

Congrats on your 200th blog post. Whew...I have a long way to go! LOL
xoxo
Cookie Girl

PS I have my very first giveaway on my blog. Would love to have you stop by.

Susie said...

Good luck on your challenge!! I am more of a visual person so, words for me are a way to describe what yummy thing I just made:-)

Tara R. said...

I'm still recovering from posting everyday for only a month. Good for you and good luck with your challenge. I hope you are sharing what you write with us.

Blog Stalker said...

Did not get a chance to congratulate you earlier. Congratulations on 200! and counting....

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. Me, I'm just not up to making another commitment right now ;)

BPOTW said...

I am thoroughly impressed that you have posted every single day. Sometimes I think and think and the juices just won't flow. Other days I've got multiple ideas, but not enough time to get them all down. Anyway, I admire your tenacity and dedication!

Pink Ink said...

Congrats on the 200th post!

Good luck with the writing challenge. I love to write, too, and I sometimes set myself up for unrealistic goals, but that's the only way I seem to get any writing done! :-)

Brenda said...

I do it because I have SO many things I want to say. I keep a list of post topics and it never runs out, I always have more. I just love to give my opinion!

tara @ kidz said...

Stopping by through BPOTW.

I collect vintage typewriters and the on in that photo has me drooling!

I write because it helps me figure things out and be at peace. And I love connecting with other people too. Love it!