Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why I Write~The Challenge, The Battle

Last week, I celebrated my 200th Blog Post. As part of the festivities, I mentioned that I had posted 200 bloggy entries in a row. Yup, since June 16, 2008. Which means that today's post will be Number 208.

Several of you want to know how I do it. Well, I can tell you for sure that it's not magic. I sit down here in my (slightly) chilly basement and often stare at the (dusty) old Dell Desktop for quite some time. Every so often, the words just flow~My Empty Nesters Post comes to mind. The most engaged I feel in the writing process is when my Cyber Buddies throw a bone my way; or when my ultimately creative SIL, Aunt Julie, has something pretty potent to say.

(And no, for those of you who are new to This Place or who might have forgotten~Aunt Julie and Veggie Mom are not the same person. She is she, and I am I, and that's the way it will forever be!)

Sometimes, like most of us in the Blogosphere, I write with a purpose. Sometimes, I write just for the heck of it. But the thing I'm most proud of is that I write. Every Day. The exercise is good for my mind, and keeps my fingers nimble.

Tiffany, of Poetry and Hums, seems to be a serious writer. She applies herself to her craft, and alerted us on Monday to a Writing Challenge. It's not a contest, but a quest, proposed a blogger named Aerin, over at In Search of Giants. The object is to write at least 1,000 words a month of creative non-fiction (which I love to compose) or fiction (which I don't have the grey matter to produce).

The Rules of the Challenge are simple. The Gauntlet has been thrown. And while I'm no fencer nor medieval knight, I have metaphorically picked up this piece of armor and I'm going into battle. I challenge you, dear friends, to do the same.

I only hope that Pop'rs Giveaways, Bloggy Bling and Misdirected Musings are allowed as part of my word count.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

ALL words count!!!! (at least they better!!!) congrats (again) on your 200th post... i think my next one will be 550. i've totally fallen in love with blogging, mostly because of the connections i have found to people like you! :)

Vanessa Rogers said...

Do blogs count in this challenge? Great challenge by the way! I am in since I am trying to write a book, my own goal was to write five hours a week regardless if I am creating crap or the Monet of writing.

Melissa B. said...

This looks right up my alley. I'm in! I'm in!

Tracy P. said...

Great motivation! I should be challenged with something more akin to writing more content with fewer words. Can you say verbose? ;-) That's why I usually try to let the pictures do the talking--my own personal quest!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh...I will have to go check out "the challenge".

I have enjoyed getting back "into the swing" of writing. However, I have found that I can't remember some of the rules of grammar....it's driving me nuts!!!

Sandi McBride said...

I can't wait to see your entries!
Sandi

Ann On and On... said...

Happy 200+ posts...I've enjoyed many of your wonder words and look forward to more. Thanks for the info on short stories, perhaps I'll venture over to take a looky.

Unknown said...

wow what an impressive challenge i can;t wait to see what you come up with

Anonymous said...

This sounds pretty cool!!!

And thanks for always picking up my causes and signing or clicking or posting or whatever I ask of my bloggy friends.....I think you ROCK!!!

Kally said...

I have no doubt about it. You can and will do it!! :)

Carrie said...

Congrats on your 200th blog post. Whew...I have a long way to go! LOL
xoxo
Cookie Girl

PS I have my very first giveaway on my blog. Would love to have you stop by.

Susie said...

Good luck on your challenge!! I am more of a visual person so, words for me are a way to describe what yummy thing I just made:-)

Tara R. said...

I'm still recovering from posting everyday for only a month. Good for you and good luck with your challenge. I hope you are sharing what you write with us.

Blog Stalker said...

Did not get a chance to congratulate you earlier. Congratulations on 200! and counting....

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. Me, I'm just not up to making another commitment right now ;)

BPOTW said...

I am thoroughly impressed that you have posted every single day. Sometimes I think and think and the juices just won't flow. Other days I've got multiple ideas, but not enough time to get them all down. Anyway, I admire your tenacity and dedication!

Jewel Allen said...

Congrats on the 200th post!

Good luck with the writing challenge. I love to write, too, and I sometimes set myself up for unrealistic goals, but that's the only way I seem to get any writing done! :-)

Brenda said...

I do it because I have SO many things I want to say. I keep a list of post topics and it never runs out, I always have more. I just love to give my opinion!

Tara Bennett said...

Stopping by through BPOTW.

I collect vintage typewriters and the on in that photo has me drooling!

I write because it helps me figure things out and be at peace. And I love connecting with other people too. Love it!