Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Keeping Warm on a Cold Winter's Night...

...Or, What do ya do when it snows 10 days before Thanksgiving? And BTW, that's Aunt Julie's house, right there, with the first Measurable Snow of the Season in Northeastern Wisconsin!


In our family, when the weather gets like this we sit down with a mug of Aunt Julie's Hot Cocoa (recipe to follow). And I have to warn you, folks: Auntie J. is just about out of recipes, so pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease E-Mail Veggie Mom with some of your own!

Before I launch into how to make this Warm-and-Sweet-in-the-Tummy Concoction, I want to remind you about The Great New Pop'rs Thanksgiving Extravaganza, running from now until 11:59 p.m. on Thanksgiving Eve. For each recipe you send to Veggie, you get one entry. And for each comment you leave on my posts between now and the Giveaway Deadline, you get another entry. We're giving away Five--Count 'Em!--Boxes of Pop'rs to Five Lucky Bloggers. That's a Complete Set of Pop'rs, those oh-so-good-for-you seasonings, which come in Eight Fun Flavors, and encourage everyone to Eat Their Veggies!

I'll close today with a little riddle, then the recipe: Why did the Veggie Mom cross the road? To get a steaming mug of Aunt Julie's Hot Cocoa!

Aunt Julie's Hot Cocoa
8-quart box Carnation dry milk (use Carnation; the generic brands aren't quite fine enough)

1 pound powdered sugar
1 pound Nesquik
8 oz. coffee creamer (any brand will do, but make sure it's "plain")

Mix ingedients together. Boil water. Put about 1/3 cup of the Hot Cocoa Mix in a mug, pour the hot water into the mug, and stir. Add tiny marshmallows, and enjoy!

26 comments:

Melissa B. said...

It's just getting bone-chilling cold here, but so far, no snow. I think I'll whip up a batch of this cocoa today!

Laura Marchant said...

Flurries but no snow here thank goodness!
Sorry, all of my recipes come in the form of a can or box lately :-)

Tracy P. said...

So is it cheating if I give you a recipe I've already posted on my blog? Because nothing says winter like my Beer Cheese Soup! With popcorn. And maybe a little butter flavored pop'rs.

Anonymous said...

By the way, this cocoa mix fits perfectly in an empty 5 gallon ice cream pail. We scoop it from there, and one batch will usually last the winter. Marshmallow fluff is also reallly good stirred into this also, but only for the Moms!

Lynda said...

Snow? 10 days before T'Giving? We have snow every 15 years or so.

I keep watching my mailbox for my Pop'rs!

Blog Stalker said...

Don't get much snow so actually long for it! Cold and Hot chocolate are great bedfellows, thanks for the recipe!

Have a great day!

Claremont First Ward said...

Looks like Aunt Julies cocoa is perfect for those snowy days......hard for me to imagine since it's been almost 90 degrees here.

Michelle said...

Wow, that makes a LOT of cocoa. At first I thought you were going to use ALL that to make some cocoa. Phew! And now that I'm back in town... here come some recipes!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! It's barely cold enough here to get away with drinking hot chocolate!

Vanessa Rogers said...

That recipe looks mighty dighty delicious!

Vanessa Rogers said...

If I submit a recipe, does it matter if it is from a site such as cookinglight?

Anonymous said...

We got snow here in Michigan too! It looks to be about the same amount as Wisconsin got.
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net

jewelstreet said...

It's so cold here, but no snow. Though I did hear it in the weather forecast.

I'll have to try this recipe. I'll check and see if I have any of my own- not that I'm a big cook or anything.

Tiffany said...

My mom used to make this when I was little. I should make a batch up for my kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

OOH...I just posted a recipe yesterday on my blog for White Chicken Chili. I will send it to you and also my Coca-Cola Cake recipe. My sister-in-law called from Calif. and was making the cake tonight after seeing it on my blog.

Knit Purl Gurl said...

Cocoa sounds good! Thanks for popping by my blog today!! You have a great blog! I'll keep popping back!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I'm in SW Wisconsin...no snow yet. :( I'm hoping for snow! Mmmmmm...love me some hot chocolate! I think I'm going to whip up a batch tomorrow morning. :)

Heather said...

This is the only time of year I miss being up north and getting snow. I only want it for the holidays and then I'm ready for 80 degrees again. That hot cocoa sounds divine!

Susie said...

I need one of these tonight. We got a tiny bit of snow in Southeastern Wisconsin but Man, is it cold:-(

sassy stephanie said...

Oh yum. My kiddies love cocoa.

Thanks for sharing in my SITS day with me!

Unknown said...

Thanks for popping by my blog! Will have to try that Hot Cocoa!!

Louisa Claire said...

thanks for visiting my blog! Love a good hot choc but as it's summer down here ice choc is more the order the day!

Rachel Ann said...

snow already? Ugh...I'm not a fan of snow...except for Christmas day when I'm snug in the house with no where to go.

Kathleen W. said...

I made a similar cocoa recipe for gifts last Christmas, except I added a dash of cinnamon and cayenne and called it Cocoa with a Kick. I think people liked it, or else they tossed out the bag. I thought it was great, and wished I had kept more for myself.

Crista said...

I love making homemade hot chocolate!

Anonymous said...

But put some Chocolate POP'rs on top too. They look pretty on whipped cream:)