Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Airport. A Snowstorm. A Poem. And a Traveler's Tale.


~Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening~

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost~

Yup. The Girls had to travel yesterday in the biggest dang snowstorm you ever did see. Substitute "airplane," "airport," etc., for "woods" in this classic Frost poem, and you'll get the idea. Pretty, but also pretty aggravating. Remember...these are the kiddos who had to be rescued by Big Bear the Sunday after Thanksgiving!

Hope all of you Hearty Midwesterners and Northeasterners get dug out safely and successfully!

9 comments:

Rhonda said...

The weather is crazy here too! So, so cold!

I got some chocolate bars in the mail today! That was a very nice surprise! I'm a little too intoxicated to even think about chocolate (especially POPPING chocolate) at this very moment, but I will certainly try them tomorrow!!

Thanks a bunch!

Unknown said...

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr... that picture made me so cold!!! its beautiful here - the woods are snowy, dark and deep... but thank goodness i dont have to go anywhere!!!! hope you all stay safe and warm and dry!

Anonymous said...

Its just cold here!!! Brrrr...

Glad they made it out safely.....the weather sometimes just does not want to coooperate with one's travel plans, does it?

Safire said...

Wow, what a big storm! Glad they made it home safely SITSta.

Ann On and On... said...

Weather....sigh. I am starting my 4 day drive tomorrow from Idaho to Michigan. I'll keep all other travelers in my thoughts. Safe thoughts.

Tara R. said...

Incredible! I hope everyone is home safe and secure. Stay warm and have a wonderful holiday season.

Melissa B. said...

Oh, I absolutely HATE flying in bad weather! Hope everyone got home safe and sound. BTW, please don't forget my Sx3 tomorrow...it's seasonal-and hysterical!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm from NY and have lived in the midwest. So....I'm SO GRATEFUL to be living in Georgia now!!! Yikes!

Michelle said...

I can only hope that you didn't just jinx us with the biggest dang snowstorm you ever did see. Do you remember the storm of '88? And do you realize that we're the sixth snowiest winter already? Fingers crossed they made it safely!