Thursday, December 18, 2008

But Where's the Christmas, Carol?

The punchline to a very old joke, the rest of which I just can't quite remember. But, in keeping with the season, I wanted to do another Holiday-esque list for you, in the musical vein, if that's OK. We over here in Pop'rs Land were sooooooooooooooooo tickled by your response to our Christmas Movie List, that we decided to bring you another Very. Special. Treat.

Yup, you Saw This One Coming, didn't ya? After yesterday's mention of Nat "King" Cole, I had to just Put Him in a List, didn't I? So, here for your viewing enjoyment, and in No Particular Order yet again, is a Top 10 Seasonal Songs List for you to ponder. And please, let us know...What's your favorite Tune this time of Year?

10. Joy to the World, performed by Mariah Carey. Yes, and this rendition, above, was filmed at Disney World, and yes, Chip & Dale and Goofy and Baloo the Bear, et al, are chiming in on the chorus, along with everybody else in the Disney Parade. Gotta love the Three Dog Night tribute. And the Red Cinderella Gown (or is it Snow White?) is a nice touch, too!

9. Silent Night. Well, everyone's done it, from Bing Crosby to Britney Spears, but I'm still moved almost to tears, especially when the choir sings all the verses on Christmas Eve.

8. The First Noel was my FIL Ernie's favorite Christmas Carol. So it's one of mine, too.

7. Oh Come, All Ye Faithful, in both Latin and English. Nat "King" Cole does one fabulous rendition in both languages. I always love to hear the choir sing this one on Christmas Eve, too!

6. Santa Baby, performed by Eartha Kitt. This is Kitt's most recognizable song. She first performed it in 1953. OK, it's not a Christmas Carol, but it still counts, doesn't it? And you'll give me Extra Brownie Points when I tell you that Eartha Kitt was the Original Cat Woman in the 1960s Batman TV show. So there!

7. Christmas Time, by Alvin and the Chipmunks. OK, all right, already. Not a Christmas Carol. But if we didn't hear this cheesy little tune every Christmas season, Where. Would. We. Be?

6. Oh, Holy Night. Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and even *NSync and Donna Summer have performed this. But I still like Johnny Mathis' version.

5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, performed by Bruce Springsteen. Straying into Pop Culture a little here, folks. But Bruce is The Boss, after all!

4. Feliz Navidad, by José Feliciano. A classic, oui?

3. Frosty the Snowman, performed by the Ronettes. This is 1963, part of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. No Christmas would be Complete without it!

2. Sleigh Ride, performed by anyone, anytime...even the Middle School Band! We have fond memories of The Wild One on clarinet in the 8th-grade ensemble. The kid with the bells and his buddy with the contraption that cracked like a whip are the stars of that video, for sure!

1. The Christmas Song, performed by Nat "King" Cole. For years I wanted to taste chestnuts because of this song. Let me tell ya, they're pretty over-rated. But this song, this artist, epitomize the Christmas Season for me!

What are your Favorite Seasonal Songs? Do tell!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland is my all time favorite! It just IS Christmas to me :-)
I also really enjoy Sarah McLachlan's entire Christmas CD that I bought at Starbucks last year...it's absolutely beautiful.

Unknown said...

I pretty much like all of them as long as they aren't messed with too much... I hate it when someone takes a traditional carol and jazzes it all up... ugh.

Ann On and On... said...

I had a giveaway that just ended about peoples favorite Christmas songs.....unbelievable. I learned about so many groups and songs.

Check it out if you have some time....I am also having another giveaway...

Ritch in Love said...

I have always loved Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. James Taylor has a beautiful rendition of it on his cd October Road, so I get to listen to it all year long! It reminds me that no matter the size of your Christmas we should always remember it is about hope and joy and bright times ahead.

Melissa B. said...

Sleigh Ride IS awesome, especially when the whip cracks! And I've always had a soft spot for NKC. James Taylor, too. The Maria video is a stitch, but that gal sure can sing, can't she?

Blog Stalker said...

I really like all the favorites but I really like Adam Sandler's take with the Chanaka song, parts 1 and 2. And who could forget the classic Grandma got run over by a reindeer?

Irrevrent but way fun!

Have a great day!

Rebecca Jo said...

O Holy Night just makes me cry every time I hear it...

Sandi McBride said...

The Ballad of the Christmas Donkey by Ed Ames (I finally found it on You Tube after ages of searching!)
Sandi

Tracy P. said...

The one coming to my mind this minute is Amy Grant's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"--my hubby will dance to this tune with me once a year.

Sleighride is also high on our list. And of course the hymns, too. Your list is the perfect balance!

debi9kids said...

I'm a Johnny Mathis fan at Christmas time. LOVE the halleuiah chorus. Probably my favorite!

Happy Friday!

Marrdy said...

That list could be mine too. Except Santa Baby...hate that song for some reason!

Michelle said...

Oh, I love Carol of the Bells....

And the Bruce song is DEFINITELY one of my favorites! Good list.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I LOVE O Holy Night....and I have to say I like Kelly Clarkson....Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You....and Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses...and lastly...all I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas...