The punchline to a very old joke, the rest of which I just can't quite remember. But, in keeping with the season, I wanted to do another Holiday-esque list for you, in the musical vein, if that's OK. We over here in Pop'rs Land were sooooooooooooooooo tickled by your response to our Christmas Movie List, that we decided to bring you another Very. Special. Treat.
Yup, you Saw This One Coming, didn't ya? After yesterday's mention of Nat "King" Cole, I had to just Put Him in a List, didn't I? So, here for your viewing enjoyment, and in No Particular Order yet again, is a Top 10 Seasonal Songs List for you to ponder. And please, let us know...What's your favorite Tune this time of Year?
10. Joy to the World, performed by Mariah Carey. Yes, and this rendition, above, was filmed at Disney World, and yes, Chip & Dale and Goofy and Baloo the Bear, et al, are chiming in on the chorus, along with everybody else in the Disney Parade. Gotta love the Three Dog Night tribute. And the Red Cinderella Gown (or is it Snow White?) is a nice touch, too!
9. Silent Night. Well, everyone's done it, from Bing Crosby to Britney Spears, but I'm still moved almost to tears, especially when the choir sings all the verses on Christmas Eve.
8. The First Noel was my FIL Ernie's favorite Christmas Carol. So it's one of mine, too.
7. Oh Come, All Ye Faithful, in both Latin and English. Nat "King" Cole does one fabulous rendition in both languages. I always love to hear the choir sing this one on Christmas Eve, too!
6. Santa Baby, performed by Eartha Kitt. This is Kitt's most recognizable song. She first performed it in 1953. OK, it's not a Christmas Carol, but it still counts, doesn't it? And you'll give me Extra Brownie Points when I tell you that Eartha Kitt was the Original Cat Woman in the 1960s Batman TV show. So there!
7. Christmas Time, by Alvin and the Chipmunks. OK, all right, already. Not a Christmas Carol. But if we didn't hear this cheesy little tune every Christmas season, Where. Would. We. Be?
6. Oh, Holy Night. Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and even *NSync and Donna Summer have performed this. But I still like Johnny Mathis' version.
5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, performed by Bruce Springsteen. Straying into Pop Culture a little here, folks. But Bruce is The Boss, after all!
4. Feliz Navidad, by José Feliciano. A classic, oui?
3. Frosty the Snowman, performed by the Ronettes. This is 1963, part of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. No Christmas would be Complete without it!
2. Sleigh Ride, performed by anyone, anytime...even the Middle School Band! We have fond memories of The Wild One on clarinet in the 8th-grade ensemble. The kid with the bells and his buddy with the contraption that cracked like a whip are the stars of that video, for sure!
1. The Christmas Song, performed by Nat "King" Cole. For years I wanted to taste chestnuts because of this song. Let me tell ya, they're pretty over-rated. But this song, this artist, epitomize the Christmas Season for me!
What are your Favorite Seasonal Songs? Do tell!