Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lost and Foundry in Neenah, WI

Part of Veggie Mom's March contribution to the Random Complexity Writing Challenge. 247 words.

Hmmmmmmm...what might a manhole cover thingy be doing at the top of today's post?

Well, yesterday's SFO Snap got me to thinking about our family vay-cays, and the one constant in all of them.

The Neenah Foundry.

Opened in 1872, the Foundry manufactures something called "castings"...known to most of us as manhole covers, tree box grates and other fascinating bits and pieces of the urban~and not-so-urban~landscape.

The Foundry was founded (Ha! Get It?) 137 years ago in Neenah, WI...home to that fabulous lighthouse I showed you last summer, Kimberly-Clark (think Huggies, Kleenex and Kotex, for sure!) and, of course, POPrs.

Yup. Neenah is Uncle Lynn's hometown. Where most of the POPrs Family resides. And when we go on vay-cay, we haul Ye Ol' Canon out for the obligatory Palm Tree, Wildlife and Sunburned Children Snaps. But we take other, more unusual vacation photos, as well.

I think I have about three hundred and seventy one snaps of Neenah Foundry "castings"...predominantly portraits of manhole covers, from Maui to Dallas to Miami to the Cayman Islands. This particular portrait was snapped outside AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants.

So, the next time you're shuffling off to Buffalo (or St. Louis, Butte, San Diego), make sure to take a closer look at your surroundings. By "surroundings," I mean the pavement beneath your feet. Anything that has a "municipal utility" look to it. And check out the manhole covers. If they say "Neenah Foundry," they originated in our backyard!

9 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

I will find myself checking man hole covers from this day on.

Hope I always have my camera with me!

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

wow that is so cool...next time i see a man hole cover i will check it out! happy thursday!

Susie said...

I see Neenah all the time and smile:-0

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Way too cool!

Melissa B. said...

Next time I'm "out and about," I'll take a gander at the manhold covers in my neighborhood. Should I take snaps, too?

Teri said...

Hey, I also take pix of manhole covers when I am on vacation. Cool!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That's pretty cool - I've never thought to look at manhole covers. Although the word "manhole" makes me giggle. :)

Michelle said...

Oh how cool! I had no idea, but I'm definitely checking them out the next time I see a manhole cover! Thanks for the heads up.

Marrdy said...

Hmm, I think there's a manhole right out in front.