Thursday, March 19, 2009

Google is My New BFF


Another 263 words for the Random Complexity Writing Challenge!

Many of my POPrs Pals have followed my technological odyssey~from The Blue Screen of Death, to the Almost-Dead Dell, to My New Brain, ad infinitim.

Well, your pal Veggie Mom faced another cyber-obstacle yesterday when she realized (a little too late) that she'd forgotten to back up the most precious piece of technoware she owns.

College financial info? No. Thousands of digital photos documenting my children's every breath and step? Of course not.

Tax documents? Nope. Work files? Nil. Digital music?

Oops.

Spent most of the day at work worried about the 3,607 songs I had patiently spent the better part of four years loading on to the old Dell. The one that crapped out on me. The one that bit the dust.

I forgot to back up the iTunes folder when I changed brains.

Ever the optimist, I decided to "Google" my problem. And guess what? It's entirely possible, with a little bit of patience, to transfer music from an iPod to a new desktop computer. I'm not going to say it was easy, but it wasn't brain surgery, either.

So I'm happy as a clam, with my updated iTunes 8-point-whatever, and all those songs, ranging from Abba and Beethoven to George Strait and Willie Nelson. In fact, I'm listening to my tune-age as I type this post.

Thanks so much to a guy I met on Google named Lifehacker. And props to Google for hooking us up. My musical journey isn't complete, but I'm on my way.

I've got 42.2 days' worth of songs to work through before the next crisis.

10 comments:

Simply AnonyMom said...

That is so awesome that you got it "saved". It is also so cool that strangers are always so willing to help on this crazy WWW. Maybe there is hope for humanity after all?

Unknown said...

there's always hope for humanity :)... and im so glad you weathered another technocrisis... as i said to a friend last night... technology is wonderful... when it works!!!!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Thank goodness for those awesome people online who dole out free help to those of us who don't know what we're doing! :)

Deanna said...

Ahhh... the blue screen of death. I met it the week before Christmas and went hyperventilating into my computer guy. "My life! My life! My life is in this thing!" Thankfully, he understood.

Susie said...

Great job! Sometimes the best fix is the one you find yourself:-)

Heather said...

I'm glad you were able to save all your music! I would have cried if it happened to me!

Anonymous said...

Tsk. tsk Veggie Mom. I'mhoping you're investing in an external now?

You're right. I think I know which program to which you are referring and it's not easy. I had to sit by and man the entire process but thankfully, it can be done.

Glad you're up and running!

Kally said...

I'm so glad you've got it together. I would be lost without my music and podcasts!

Marrdy said...

Adiel can do this! I watched her at work one day. So glad you saved your music. I still don't even own an iPod!

Michelle said...

Oh how I love google. Glad you found your solution :) Yay, iTunes!