Monday, March 30, 2009

Negotiating the Highway of Life

After posting the Lombard Street pic last Wednesday, I started to think about how the years have just zoomed by. About a dozen primo memories came crowding to mind.

Like the time I went to the DMV with College Girl~then 15~so she could take the test to acquire her permit. She passed with flying colors, and I tossed her the keys to my Blazer.

"What do you want me to do with these?" she queried.

"Drive us home."

"In the car?"

"That's what I was thinking, sweetie."

I should note that rush hour had just started, and the kid~seriously~looked like she was about to pee her pants at the prospect of negotiating traffic that time of day. But we made it home~safely, I might add. That was the one and only time I felt like I was driving with my Mom instead of my Kid behind the wheel.

It wasn't long, though, before she was zooming hither and yon in my old bucket of bolts, and Moker and I were staying up late, hoping she'd make it home in one piece.

Then there are the tales of trying to teach my girls how to drive a stick. Why is it that getting started is so difficult with a manual transmission, but they really know how to get that engine racing in the upper gears?

As we've negotiated the Highway of Life, we've run into a couple of speed bumps along the way; most of it, though, has been a pretty smooth ride.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for coming by the other day. Hope you had a great weekend.

Susie said...

It does go fast. I remember driver's ed with my older daughter. I couldn't do behind the wheel with her. My husband had to take her. You spend your life right there to catch every oops and kiss every boo boo and now, they are operating a motor vehicle! No way! He will be teaching our youngest too:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh man....that is what I dread. Time is already going to fast.....it'll be no time before Zander wants my car. NOOOOOO!!!!

Jenni said...

I am soooooo not looking forward to that day....

Unknown said...

My mom made me learn on a stick because, and I quote, "You never know when you'll be in a situation when you'll need to drive a Semi and this way you'll at least have an idea what you're doing"

Yeah... she was serious.

Cuase doesn't everyone have those times in life when they're force to drive a Semi??

Tiffany said...

My husband just took our daughter for the road test to get her driver's license today. She didn't pass, but we've heard that almost nobody passes the first try in our state.

Michelle said...

You ARE a good mom. No WAY would I let a wee one drive me home after getting a permit. In fact, I refuse to have anything to do with teaching them to drive. In another thirty years. If then.

Marrdy said...

My daughter crashed her fathers car, without a license, without a learners. And, I love that commercial.

Tracy P. said...

I can imagine it will be exactly like that. How do you get yourself ready???